May 31, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
Costa Rica manager Jorge Luis Pinto revealed his 23-man roster on Friday.
The Ticos, currently 34th in FIFA’s rankings, have been hit hard by injury. As expected, Everton defender Bryan Oviedo will not recover from a broken leg in time to make the trip to Brazil. Defender Kendall Waston and midfielder Carlos Hernandez also did not make the final squad.
Perhaps the most depressing exclusion is that of Real Salt Lake forward Álvaro Saborío. At 32, Saborío has 93 caps for Costa Rica, and this would almost certainly be his final chance to play in a World Cup. But the forward broke his hand in training on Thursday, and will not be able to play in the tournament.
The injuries have made Costa Rica’s task in Brazil even more formidable. The Ticos face Uruguay, England and Italy in Group D.
Goalkeepers: Keylor Navas (Levante), Patrick Pemberton (Alajuelense), Daniel Cambronero (Herediano)
Defenders: Giancarlo Gonzalez (Columbus Crew), Johnny Acosta (Alajuelense), Michael Umana (Saprissa), Roy Miller (New York Red Bulls), Junior Diaz (Mainz 05), Christian Gamboa (Rosenborg), Oscar Duarte (Bruges), Waylon Francis (Columbus Crew), Heiner Mora (Saprissa)
Midfielders: Michael Barrantes (Aalesunds), Jose Miguel Cubero (Herediano), Yeltsin Tejeda (Saprissa), Celso Borges (AIK), Esteban Granados (Herediano), Christian Bolaños (Copenhagen)
- Diego Costa maintains his innocence, says “I’ve not done anything wrong” 3
- DONE DEAL: Seydou Doumbia to Roma headlines quiet Saturday for transfers 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Top-half teams jockey for position 0
- Premier League roundup: Big wins for Manchester United, Liverpool, Tottenham and more 0
- Three things we learned from Chelsea vs. Manchester City 0
- Player Ratings: How did Chelsea, Manchester City’s stand-in’s fare? 0