May 31, 2014, 12:44 PM EST
Cesc Fàbregas left Arsenal in 2011, after eight years with the London club. Pep Guardiola, then coach at Barcelona, had made it his mission to bring Fàbregas back into the fold, after he’d spent seven years at the storied La Masia youth academy. But Guardiola’s long gone at Barcelona – so is Cesc’s time coming to an end as well?
There are conflicting reports as to whether the midfielder will leave Barcelona. On Friday, Metro reported that Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu said Fàbregas is not for sale, quoting him as stating: “Barca do not want to sell Fabregas or any other players that may appear to be on the market.”
While there are no recent reports in the major Spanish news outlets, other media are reporting that Barcelona will be selling the 27-year-old. It seems Barca have slapped a £30m (~$50m) price tag on his head, and have informed a host of would-be suitors as to Fàbregas’s availability.
According to the rumor mill, plenty of Premier League clubs are interested in the midfielder. Manchester United are one of the teams, and fellow Spaniard David de Gea is rumored to be trying to convince Fàbregas to move. However, the goalkeeper says Fàbregas prefers living in Barcelona to living in Manchester. Who knew?
That probably means he won’t be headed to Manchester City, either. But there’s still the possibility of a return to Arsenal. The Gunners have a buy-back option as part of the deal struck in 2011, but it’s contingent on Fàbregas saying he wants to return.
Meanwhile, Fàbregas will do his best to put the uncertainty over his future into the back of his mind. He’s just been named to Spain’s 23-man roster, and it’s time for him to focus on the World Cup.
- Ban upheld: Diego Costa to miss Saturday’s visit from Manchester City, 2 more 0
- Report: Liverpool hoping to buy Ings, loan striker back to Burnley for season 0
- David Beckham says progress still being made toward MLS stadium in Miami 0
- DONE DEAL: Mattia Destro, Juan Agudelo sign with new clubs AC Milan, New England Revolution 0
- Juan Agudelo signs with New England Revolution, completes return to MLS 2
- How will Chelsea, Manchester City line up in huge Premier League clash? 2