May 31, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT
Real Salt Lake’s unbeaten record is gone, and spectacularly so. Thanks to goals from Gonzalo Pineda, Marco Pappa, Chad Barrett, and Obafemi Martins, the league-leading Seattle Sounders have erased the “0” from RSL’s loss column, handing head coach Jeff Cassar his first loss after a 4-0 result Saturday at CenturyLink Field.
Though the teams made it to halftime with only Pineda’s 42nd minute penalty kick separating the sides, a 20-yard direct kick from from Pappa doubled Seattle’s lead in the 55th minute. Seven minutes later, Barrett blew the game open, finishing from wide of goal inside that same left post. When Martins ran onto a late square ball from Kenny Cooper in the 90th minute, Seattle had its most lopsided win of the season.
Given the tight nature of the first half, the final score may have exaggerated the difference between the sides. Still, this was clearly Seattle’s day. Real Salt Lake didn’t register its first shot on target until the 72nd minute, by which time they were already down three goals. Though it took an Aaron Maund penalty to give Seattle its lead (and another Maund foul to double it), the Sounders never let RSL back into the match. With João Plata injured and Javier Morales contained, the visitors didn’t have the firepower to keep up after Pappa’s goal.
More thoughts on Saturday afternoon’s result:
1. Seattle’s depth pays off – Both the Sounders and RSL typically have enviable depth, a testament to each organization’s front office, but on Saturday, the Sounders’ peripheral players outshined Real Salt Lake’s. Between Pappa, Barrett, Cooper and Lamar Neagle, Sigi Schmid got two goals, two assists, and seven “key passes” from players who normally fight for two spots in the lineup. For Cassar, Luke Mulholland, Cole Grossman, Olmes Garcia, and Devon Sandoval all struggled to make an impact on the match.
2. Javier Morales kept quiet – It’s not that Morales was bad as much as he wasn’t great, and without Álvaro Saborío and Plata in the lineup, RSL needed their best player to be special to help counter that Seattle depth. Morales led the game in both passes and touches, but he also led his team in turnovers and was disposed another three times by Seattle’s midfield. Part of the is purely a function of how many times he was on the ball, but without his best weapons at his disposal, Morales couldn’t get it done.
3. Result was important, though not necessarily telling – With both teams missing some of their best players, this game didn’t tell us that much about how the contenders will match up come fall. It did, however, give Seattle valuable points at the top of the Western Conference. The Sounders now have a five-point lead on second place RSL.
Jul 31, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT
Thierry Henry’s second half equalizer takes earns a point at Rio Tinto.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:43 PM EDT
The Revs’ eight-game losing streak ends thanks to another strong night from Lee Nguyen.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
The Red fall nine points back of second place United in the Eastern Conference.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
24-year-old defender loaned out for the seventh time.
Ugly scenes in Northern Ireland as Mexican U-19 player attempts to kick opponent’s head during Milk Cup brawl
Jul 30, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Game is eventually cut short after a yet unnamed player aimed at the head of a fallen opponent.
Jul 30, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
Atlético’s interest could develop into Chicharito’s best option.
Jul 30, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT
Nick De Santis will stay with the Impact, albeit in an administrative role.
Jul 30, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
Everton’s leading scorer returns to Goodison on a permanent basis.
Jul 30, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
With immediate effect, U.S.’s women’s league will pause mid-half if when it’s too hot.
Jul 30, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Liverpool roll into town and people freak out! Watch this incredible reaction to Stevie G signing autographs.
Jul 30, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Reports from Texas state Jurgen Klinsmann’s side are playing Colombia in September.
Jul 30, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Union grab Algerian goalkeeper Mbolhi, throw MacMath’s future in doubt.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
One of the most influential men in world soccer passed away on Wednesday at the age of 82.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT
After success at the 2014 World Cup, vanishing spray is coming to the PL.
Jul 30, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Shaw: “I didn’t come into United thinking it’s going to be much harder and that’s something I made a mistake on.”
Jul 30, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT
Ronaldo flexing the abs as he is set to appear in the largest-ever Men’s Health front cover campaign.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT
United make it three wins from three on their U.S. tour. Watch the highlights from Van Gaal’s men in action.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Will United splash the cash to sign Vidal in central midfield?
Jul 30, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
Lukaku set to sign for Everton from Chelsea.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
United to splash the cash? Lukaku on his way out of Chelsea? All the latest gossip, right here.
- Atlético Madrid latest club linked with Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernández 3
- Romelu Lukaku completes permanent, $47 million move to Everton 7
- Report: US to play friendly vs. Colombia in San Antonio 1
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: Cuadrado to Manchester United, Lukaku to Everton 0
- Steven Gerrard endured “worst three months” of his life after Liverpool, England heartbreak 3
- Premier League on tour, Tuesday roundup: United beat Inter in penalties 1