May 31, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
As we continue our countdown to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil here at PST, each day from now until the tournament begins we will look back at a memorable moment from years gone by.
Here is number 12.
PST’s Top 20 World Cup moments – No. 12. Ronaldo scores twice to exorcism demons of ’98 final
Four years after his crowning moment was meant to arrive in the World Cup final, Ronaldo finally did the business for Brazil.
In the 1998 final vs. France in Paris, Ronaldo had a seizure before the biggest match of his career and looked lackluster in a 3-0 defeat to the French. After dominating the ’98 tournament and scoring four goals for the Selecao, Ronaldo was primed and ready to the be the match winner. Instead the former Real Madrid and Barcelona forward floundered and had to wait another four years for glory.
Ronaldo and Brazil reached the final for the second-straight time in 2002 as the powerful forward (boasting a slightly dodgy haircut) banged home eight goals to be the leading scorer in the tournament. In the final against Germany, he pounced twice in the second half to hand Brazil their record fifth title and complete his shot at redemption.
One of the greatest strikers the world has ever seen delivered on the biggest stage of all. Ronaldo’s famous smile was one of the lasting memories from the 2002 tournament.
- What will Jurgen Klinsmann’s USMNT roster look like for 2015 Gold Cup? 2
- April Fools! The top gags that actually fooled soccer fans on this day 5
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Player of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Coach of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Team of the Season 3
- Who were biggest winners, losers from USMNT’s March friendlies? 5