May 31, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
When Timothy Chandler made his U.S. debut in March 2011, the German-born defender looked like one of the more promising new talents at the U.S.’s disposal. Instead, the cap started an on again, off again relationship between the 24-year-old and his national team that briefly saw the Nürnburg defender avoid a competitive appearance as he considered whether he wanted to be tied to the U.S. Even after he took the plunge in Honduras for a Feb. 2013 World Cup qualifier, Chandler’s inconsistent form and injury concerns left him on the outside of the U.S.’s setup for the following year.
By the time the U.S. named its 30-man, provisional World Cup squad this month, Chandler was back in the picture, his play in the Bundesliga having shown enough to make him a viably candidate at fullback. When the final, 23-man team was announced on May 22, Chandler had gone from outcast to embraced. The Frankfurt-born defender is going to his first World Cup.
Full name: Timothy Chandler
Hometown: Frankfurt, Germany
Position: Right back, left back
Caps/goals: 11 caps, 0 goals
Best moment in a U.S. shirt: If Chandler goes on to have a long career with the U.S., May 27 will look like one of the most important points in the defender’s international career. Coming off the bench to replace left back DaMarcus Beasley, Chandler made his first appearance for the U.S. in 15 months, one that began putting his disappointing performance in Honduras behind him.
Starter or squad player at World Cup? Chandler wouldn’t have been brought back into the national team if Jurgen Klinsmann didn’t feel he could help. At both left and right back, he gives Klinsmann options, though at the time of this writing, he’s playing catch up to DaMarcus Beasley on the left, Fabian Johnson (and potentially, others) on the right.
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 1
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 6
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3