Jun 1, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT
FIFA just may end up voting again on the host location of the 2022 World Cup.
A report published in England’s Sunday Times alleges FIFA officials accepted payments of around $5m in exchange for supporting Qatar’s bid to host the 2022 World Cup. The allegations are based on millions of secret documents that are said to outline how former Qatari football official Mohamed Bin Hammam bought other officials’ votes.
FIFA’s chief investigator, Michael Garcia, has already been investigating the possibility of impropriety with regards to the 2022 elections. He is set to meet with officials from the Qatar 2022 organizing committee on Monday.
Suspicions of wrongdoing have already plagued this World Cup. That’s not to mention Qatar’s labor laws, its stance on homosexuality, and the fact that the Cup will almost certainly need to be moved to winter due to the desert state’s extreme summer temperatures. But is this document trail the final push FIFA need to call for a revote on who will host the 2022 World Cup?
FIFA vice-president Jim Boyce said that, if the allegations were proved, he would support voting again:
As a member currently of the Fifa executive committee, we feel that any evidence whatsoever that people involved were bribed to do a certain vote, all that evidence should go to Michael Garcia, whom Fifa have given full authority to. If Garcia’s report comes up and his recommendations are that wrongdoing happened for that vote for the 2022 World Cup, I certainly as a member of the executive committee would have absolutely no problem whatsoever if the recommendation was for a revote.
The path to a revote won’t be a simple one – this story is certain to include many more twists and turns. But maybe, just maybe, it will be the final push that removes Qatar as a World Cup host nation.
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 2
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 7
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 5
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 3
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1