Jun 1, 2014, 8:15 AM EDT
Head coach Óscar Tabárez didn’t have a lot of cuts to make ahead of the tournament’s start. Uruguay’s preliminary roster included just 25 players. Only Sebastian Eguren and Alejandro Silva, both of whom play their club football in South America, were cut. Tabárez is set to go heavy on attack.
In addition to Suárez, Edinson Cavani of PSG, Abel Hernández of Palermo and Diego Forlán of Cerezo Osaka are all included. But when it comes to goals, Uruguay may do well to look to Diego Godín.
The center back scored the equalizer against Barcelona that earned Atlético Madrid the La Liga title. He followed that goal up with the opener against Real Madrid in the Champions League final. Who’s to say he won’t score the decisive goal that lifts Uruguay over Italy, England or Costa Rica to move on to the Round of 16?
Uruguay’s 2014 World Cup Roster
Goalkeepers : Fernando Muslera (Galatasaray), Martin Silva (Vasco da Gama), Rodrigo Munoz (Libertad)
Defenders: Maximiliano Pereira (Benfica), Diego Lugano (West Bromwich Albion), Diego Godin, Jose Maria Gimenez (both Atletico Madrid), Sebastian Coates (Liverpool), Martin Caceres (Juventus), Jorge Fucile (Porto)
Midfielders: Alvaro Gonzalez (Lazio), Alvaro Pereira (Sao Paulo), Walter Gargano (Parma), Egidio Arevalo Rios (Morelia), Diego Perez (Bologna), Cristian Rodriguez (Atletico Madrid), Gaston Ramirez (Southampton), Nicolas Lodeiro (Botafogo)
Forwards: Luis Suarez (Liverpool), Edinson Cavani (Paris St-Germain), Abel Hernandez (Palermo), Diego Forlan (Cerezo Osaka), Christian Stuani (Espanyol)
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 4 0
- Premier League Preview: Newcastle United vs. Arsenal 0
- Kevin de Bruyne deal moves closer after “astonishing” offer to join Manchester City 0
- CONCACAF aims for 50-50 crowd split for USA vs. Mexico clash at Rose Bowl 8
- Top 5 Premier League storylines ahead of Week 4: Transfer deadline day looms 2
- Analyzing UEFA Champions League group stage draw for four Premier League teams 0