Jun 2, 2014, 11:20 AM EST
Rickie Lambert’s move from Southampton to Liverpool is now official, as the hometown boy has moved to Merseyside for approximately $6 million.
And he’s very, very excited and smiley.
“I can’t believe it. I’ve loved this club all my life. I left here 17 years ago – and I haven’t stopped loving it since. To be back here now having just signed at the age of 32 is hard to describe.”
“I’ve been trying to keep it as quiet as possible and tell only my close family. My mum and dad shed a few tears when I told them, especially my mum. It’s not just playing for Liverpool, it’s the fact I’m coming home. I’ve been away for eight years. My mum and dad have loved watching me play football all of my life, even when I was a kid, so it’d been hard for them not being able to come and watch. The fact they’ve got their son home – and the fact he’s playing for Liverpool – is unbelievable.”
A clearly emotional Lambert thought his agent was messing with him when he first heard of interest from Brendan Rodgers, but it’s very real. And it leaves Southampton without one of its top scorers as it prepares for life after Mauricio Pochettino. Will Adam Lallana, Luke Shaw or another Saints star follow?
- Watch Live: Liverpool vs. West Ham United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Watch Live: Manchester United vs. Leicester City (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Premier League transfer needs: What’s been done and what’s left to do by Monday? 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 23 0
- Geoff Cameron predicts Super Bowl XLIX win for his New England Patriots 1
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Manchester City, Arsenal, Saints to win 0