Jun 2, 2014, 1:40 PM EST
When Luis Montes was stretchered off during Mexico’s friendly against Ecuador this weekend, fans of El Tri feared the worst for their prolific playmaker.
Their fears were justified, as Montes will miss the World Cup after breaking his right leg in two places following a collision with Ecuador’s Segundo Castillo.
There are also reports floating around that Franck Ribery’s back issues could keep him out of the World Cup altogether (though for now he’s just missed a significant bit of training and a pair of friendlies).
These are big, exciting names, but certainly not the only high-profile players who won’t be at World Cup due to injuries, cuts or failing to qualify. We begin.
6. Christian Eriksen (Denmark)
5. Arda Turan (Turkey)
4. Petr Cech (Czech Republic)
3. Gareth Bale (Wales)
2. Robert Lewandowski (Poland)
1. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden)
6. Rafael van der Vaart (Netherlands)
5. Jay Rodriguez (England)
4. Theo Walcott (England)
3. Christian Benteke (Belgium)
2. Victor Valdes (Spain)
1. Kevin Strootman (Netherlands)
Analysis: Who else will join? Will Luis Suarez, Ribery and Radamel Falcao all avoid this list?
7. Kaka (Brazil)
6. Jermain Defoe (England)
5. Landon Donovan (United States)
4. Ashley Cole (England)
3. Samir Nasri (France)
2. Giuseppe Rossi (Italy)
1. Carlos Tevez (Argentina)
Analysis: What a group. Forget center back and keeper, can you imagine how this group of 7 would fare in a World Cup with even four average internationals? Defoe, Rossi & Tevez up top, Donovan and Nasri flanking Kaka. Nice.
- Men in Blazers podcast: Kyle Martino joins to talk Thanksgiving and tie knots 0
- Champions League Wednesday preview: Arsenal can advance, Liverpool need kick-start 1
- Jose Mourinho to Schalke after Chelsea’s 5-0 win: “It’s not your fault” 0
- Bob Bradley’s talks with a Swedish club have broken down; Staying at Stabaek? 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Chelsea win group, Man City’s late show, classy PSG 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Bayern Munich: Aguero’s hat trick hands Citizens lifeline 6