Jun 2, 2014, 1:40 PM EST
When Luis Montes was stretchered off during Mexico’s friendly against Ecuador this weekend, fans of El Tri feared the worst for their prolific playmaker.
Their fears were justified, as Montes will miss the World Cup after breaking his right leg in two places following a collision with Ecuador’s Segundo Castillo.
There are also reports floating around that Franck Ribery’s back issues could keep him out of the World Cup altogether (though for now he’s just missed a significant bit of training and a pair of friendlies).
These are big, exciting names, but certainly not the only high-profile players who won’t be at World Cup due to injuries, cuts or failing to qualify. We begin.
6. Christian Eriksen (Denmark)
5. Arda Turan (Turkey)
4. Petr Cech (Czech Republic)
3. Gareth Bale (Wales)
2. Robert Lewandowski (Poland)
1. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden)
6. Rafael van der Vaart (Netherlands)
5. Jay Rodriguez (England)
4. Theo Walcott (England)
3. Christian Benteke (Belgium)
2. Victor Valdes (Spain)
1. Kevin Strootman (Netherlands)
Analysis: Who else will join? Will Luis Suarez, Ribery and Radamel Falcao all avoid this list?
7. Kaka (Brazil)
6. Jermain Defoe (England)
5. Landon Donovan (United States)
4. Ashley Cole (England)
3. Samir Nasri (France)
2. Giuseppe Rossi (Italy)
1. Carlos Tevez (Argentina)
Analysis: What a group. Forget center back and keeper, can you imagine how this group of 7 would fare in a World Cup with even four average internationals? Defoe, Rossi & Tevez up top, Donovan and Nasri flanking Kaka. Nice.
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0
- After “two points dropped” at Aston Villa, Wayne Rooney says media was driving title talk 0