Is David Beckham set to come out of retirement, play in MLS for Miami?

Jun 3, 2014, 8:48 AM EDT

Los Angeles Galaxy's David Beckham gives a thumbs up to the crowd next to his son Romeo after Galaxy defeated the Houston Dynamo to win the MLS Cup championship soccer game in Carson

David Beckham is 39-years-old and has been out of the game for a season after retiring last May.

The global superstar hasn’t played for over 13 months but could be set for a shock comeback if his recent comments are anything to go by.

In a new documentary set to be released by the BBC, Beckham seems to be pondering a return to playing as he struggles with lingering doubts over retiring from his glittering playing career too early.

Since retirement Beckham has put together a consortium that has brought Major League Soccer to Miami, with the team expected to start play by 2017 if their deal for a new stadium can be pushed through quickly in the coming months.

MORE: David Beckham retires from soccer

When asked if he would ever consider coming out of retirement, Becks had the following to say. Make your mind up about whether or not to take it with a large pinch of salt, as Beckham believing he can still do the business in MLS at 40-plus seems a little out there.

“Now I go to watch a basketball game and, when you are watching athletes play at the top of their game, for me it gives me that itch again and I want to be back in the game. Then and I start thinking to myself  ‘Could I play again? Could I go back? Could I come out of retirement and start playing again? There’s never been a player-owner, but maybe?”

Tongue in cheek or a real possibility?

Whatever you make of Beckham’s latest comments, it seems as though the former England, Manchester United, Real Madrid, LA Galaxy and Paris Saint-Germain midfielder is contemplating lacing the boots back up again. If he has kept himself in good physical condition, his set-piece deliveries and crossing ability could surely see him nab a spot on the bench for his own side in Miami!? After all, who else will he have to answer to?

Even if Beckham makes one final appearance on the pitch as Miami’s owner during their inaugural MLS season, that would be pretty special.

Are we about to see Becks make a stunning return and become a player-owner in MLS?

1. pecorasc - Jun 3, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Nothing in that quote suggests he’s considering coming out of retirement. But I’m still interested to see it from the source, in context.

2. braxtonrob - Jun 3, 2014 at 9:40 AM

ohhh, That would be cool; Jordan-esque.

3. mdac1012 - Jun 3, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Even if he were really considering it, I would be surprised if the league would allow an owner to be on the active roster. Too much potential for problems whether it’s with a ref or a player on another team or his own coach.

• bostonredsoccer - Jun 3, 2014 at 2:03 PM

We know that he could get himself for minimum salary.

4. lewpuls - Jun 3, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Mario Lemieux owned the Penguins while he played. But Beckham would be 42. Roger Milla?

5. thedeadlockvictim - Jun 3, 2014 at 2:15 PM

bostonredsoccer: Not a bad idea. Have half a dozen name players from Europe get together and purchase an MLS franchise, pay themselves the minimum salary, but make a boatload of profits by filling the stadium every week.

6. Jeff - Jun 3, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Considering all the corruption in soccer, it would not shock me if MLS allowed this to happen. I will say this: other sports do not allow owners to actually take part in the actual games. The one time it happened, when Ted Turner tried to make himself manager of the Atlanta Braves, the league forced him to stop after one game.

• lewpuls - Jun 3, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Why would this be corrupt? No rule against it in ice hockey. Jerry Jones is de facto GM of Dallas Cowboys. I think MLB stopped Ted because he wasn’t a professional baseball man by profession, not because he was the owner: that is, if an owner IS a pro baseball man by profession, he would probably be allowed to manage his team.