Jun 5, 2014, 9:49 AM EDT
The 20-year-old Bayer Leverkusen star has a $16 million-plus release clause, and the Reds are going to meet it according to the BBC.
The central midfielder has represented Germany at every level short of the full national team and transferred to Leverkusen from Bayern Munich just last year. He played in 29 games for the 4th place Bundesliga side, scoring four times.
From the BBC:
The deal is set to go through, subject to documentation being completed.
Can, who is of Turkish descent and can also play in defence, joined Leverkusen from Bayern Munich last summer in a deal worth £4m.
The Frankfurt-born player caught the eye of Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers with a series of combative and athletic performances that helped Leverkusen finish fourth in the Bundesliga.
The move is Liverpool’s second high-profile addition of the summer as the head back to the UEFA Champions League. Rickie Lambert rejoined his old club from Southampton earlier this week.
- Everton willing to set club transfer record to bring Lukaku back 0
- Arsenal on the verge of signing Calum Chambers from Southampton 0
- Knee injury will keep Lallana out of Liverpool’s Premier League opener 0
- A quick guide to who’s come and gone from Premier League teams 1
- Didier Drogba has officially rejoined Jose Mourinho at Chelsea 3
- FIFA says World Cup will stay in Russia, “can achieve positive change” 9