Jun 5, 2014, 9:49 AM EDT
The 20-year-old Bayer Leverkusen star has a $16 million-plus release clause, and the Reds are going to meet it according to the BBC.
The central midfielder has represented Germany at every level short of the full national team and transferred to Leverkusen from Bayern Munich just last year. He played in 29 games for the 4th place Bundesliga side, scoring four times.
From the BBC:
The deal is set to go through, subject to documentation being completed.
Can, who is of Turkish descent and can also play in defence, joined Leverkusen from Bayern Munich last summer in a deal worth £4m.
The Frankfurt-born player caught the eye of Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers with a series of combative and athletic performances that helped Leverkusen finish fourth in the Bundesliga.
The move is Liverpool’s second high-profile addition of the summer as the head back to the UEFA Champions League. Rickie Lambert rejoined his old club from Southampton earlier this week.
- Report: Multiple FIFA officials arrested in Zurich, extradited to United States 3
- Mourinho rips Top 4 rivals at awards dinner; Takes extra shot at Wenger’s Arsenal 1
- Premier League Grades: How did each team fare in 2014-15? 7
- Premier League Playback: Looking back at a memorable 2014-15 season 0
- Didier Drogba open to Major League Soccer move after leaving Chelsea 9
- Real Madrid president asked what’s wrong with Carlo Ancelotti: “I don’t know” 2