Jun 6, 2014, 11:22 AM EST
Newcastle United has signed striker Ayoze Pérez on what the club has described as a “long-term contract“. The 20-year-old, signed for a reported £1.5m (~$2.5m) scored 20 goals in 34 appearances for Spanish side Tenerife last season.
Manager Alan Pardew spoke about the club’s most recent addition:
We’re delighted to confirm our first signing of the summer and very pleased to have Ayoze at Newcastle United, as a number of other clubs were chasing his signature too. He had a terrific season in Spain last year and is a player who we hope to develop further on Tyneside. He’s only 20 but has a very good eye for goal and that’s a great asset for any young player to have.
Not to bring Newcastle fans down, but it’s probably worth noting that Ayonze joins from Tenerife, who finished 11th in Spain’s Segunda División last season. Will his goals continue when faced with Premier League defenses?
Still, the Magpies have picked up a young player for a cheap price – and they’ve brought in one that they hope will score goals. Considering the side managed just 12 goals in the second half of last season (seven coming in two matches), it’s clear that Newcastle need help up top.
It’s unlikely Ayoze Pérez is the answer to Newcastle’s woes. But if he adjusts quickly to life in the Premier League, he could end up being a very, very good investment for the club.
- 2014’s Top Ten moments in Premier League – Numbers 5-1 0
- Watch Live: Stoke City vs. Chelsea (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- 2014’s Top Ten moments in Premier League – Numbers 10-6 0
- NBC Sports to air first-ever “Premier League Breakaway” show on New Year’s Day 0
- DeAndre Yedlin granted work permit, heading to Tottenham Hotspur 3
- Geoff Cameron: Eden Hazard is “best I’ve played against” in Premier League 0