Jun 6, 2014, 2:12 PM EDT
Happy birthday, Julian Green – your present is getting added to the silly season’s rumor mill!
Green has yet to take the field for a first-division team, but he’s already been pursued by Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur.
At least, that’s the rumor, publicized on Friday in the Metro. The paper alleges Spurs are willing to part with £5m (~$8.4m) to secure Green’s signature.
The 19-year-old was the top-scorer for Bayern Munich’s reserve team last year – a team that plays in Germany’s fourth-division. But that certainly didn’t stop Jürgen Klinsmann from adding him to the 23-man roster that’s headed to the World Cup. He might see little of the field in Brazil, but his call is bound to attract attention from big names.
Metro claims new Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino kept an eye on Green while he was still at Southampton. Now, he’s keen to make the winger his first signing at his new club.
It’s not out of the question that Tottenham, a club with Champions League ambitions, would look to make a young talent like Green one of their summer acquisitions. However, it’s probably too much to expect that the teenager will slot right into Pochettino’s starting lineup. It’s more likely Spurs would send him on loan, possibly to a club in England’s lower divisions, to gain more experience first.
18 goals in 23 games. That’s worth taking a risk. Do you think it will happen?
- Europa League Preview: Everton head to Russia, Spurs host Besiktas 0
- Report: Diego Maradona nearing deal to manage Palestinian National Team 1
- Three things we learned after Liverpool’s latest defeat, this time vs. Basel 5
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Arsenal cruise, Liverpool lose, Real Madrid win 1
- Arsenal 4-1 Galatasaray: Welbeck’s hat-trick leads 10-man Arsenal to victory 0
- Hat-Trick Hero: Danny Welbeck nails three in thumping of Galatasaray 1