Skip to content

Confirmed: Marco Reus will miss the World Cup, replaced by defender Mustafi

Jun 7, 2014, 9:02 AM EDT

Reus AP

With Germany already struggling to deal with injuries, this latest one hurts badly.

After an ugly ankle injury last night in their 6-1 friendly win over Armenia, it’s been confirmed Marco Reus will miss the World Cup with ligament tears in his ankle.

“For him and for us this is extremely regrettable,” coach Joachim Löw told reporters with a clearly exhausted look.

“Marco was in top form and both in the training camp and in the friendlies against Cameroon and Armenia left an outstanding impression. He had played a central role in our planning for Brazil.“

With Reus, an attacker, withdrawn from the squad, Löw chose to replace him with a defender, Sampdoria’s Shkodran Mustafi, formerly of Everton’s youth program.

“It is not about us replacing Marco Reus one on one,” said Löw. “Our quality in the position behind the strikers is very high. We have Lukas Podolski, Andre Schurrle, Mario Götze, Thomas Müller, Mesut Ozil, Julian Draxler and Toni Kroos to give us plenty of alternatives. That’s why we decided for another option for the defensive area. Shkodran impressed us in training camp, he’s fit, we have confidence in him. “

The 22-year-old has just one cap to his name, coming last month against Poland.

The blow is a huge one to Germany, who are seriously struggling with fitness. Lars Bender was ruled out due to injury, and many players currently on the roster are clearly less than 100%.  The most notable of those is Bastian Schweinsteiger, who did not play in their 2-2 draw with Cameroon but came on as a substitute against Armenia.

Others include Sami Khedira, who is returning from an ACL tear and was largely ineffective in the Champions League final a few weekends ago, but has made strides since then.  Phillipp Lahm also appears to be close to full strength after missing out against Cameroon.

Shkodran’s recall itself was likely affected by another injury, one to defender Marcel Schmelzer, who was cut from the 30-man roster by Löw thanks to knee problems.

RELATED: World Cup news, analysis from Soccerly

  1. medic0nduty - Jun 7, 2014 at 9:45 AM

    No Falcao, no Strootman, no Benteke, no Ribery, and now no Reus… well this sucks.

    • mdac1012 - Jun 7, 2014 at 11:10 AM

      I don’t know why some people are giving you thumbs down for what you said, apparently they don’t like seeing the world’s best players performing on the world’s biggest stage.

    • jylick - Jun 8, 2014 at 10:07 AM

      Couldn’t agree more…there are too many injured; it’s such a shame

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!

Featured video

Balotelli will boost Suarez-less Liverpool