Jun 8, 2014, 3:36 PM EDT
After missing out on England’s World Cup squad, Ashley Cole decided to take a trip to the United States.
While in Hollywood, the Chelsea defender visited a nightclub, and now he’s under investigation by the police for battery.
According to Los Angeles police, someone filed a complaint that Cole allegedly poured champagne on British model and TV presenter Donatella Panayiotou during his time at the Hollywood club Lure.
The complaint arrived May 31, and police have 30 days to decide whether they want to press charges.
According to reports, former teammate Shaun Wright-Phillips was in Cole’s group when the incident took place.
Chelsea’s spokesperson declined to comment to the Mirror, who first reported the story, saying it was a “private matter.”
With Cole reportedly linked with a move to Major League Soccer, an incident such as this could not only scare away any potential suitors in the States, but also nullify any agreements he could have already reached.
The 33-year-old’s contract with Chelsea expires this summer.
- Lessons from 2010 say U.S. squad as much about opportunity, circumstances as youth 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Familiar faces jostle for the top spot – Week 1 2
- U.S. roster for Czech Republic: Quick look at some of the newer names 4
- Plenty of surprises in US national team roster for Czech Republic friendly 1
- Analysis: Arsenal, Manchester City handed tough Champions League draw 1
- Full draw: European giants collide as UEFA Champions League groups set 7