Jun 9, 2014, 7:40 AM EDT
An injury to Ecuador midfielder Segundo Castillo has a Major League Soccer player on the plane to Brazil.
Tough-tackling Chivas USA midfielder Oswaldo Minda was cut from La Tri’s initial 23-man World Cup roster, but is back on the team for the tournament after Segundo sprained his right knee in a friendly against Mexico over the weekend.
Ecuador is in Group E with Switzerland, France and Honduras.
Minda, 30, has made 44 MLS appearances for the Goats in addition to 18 caps for Ecuador. He’s spent the majority of his career with Aucas and Deportivo Quito, two teams in his home nation’s Serie A.
- 2015 Gold Cup preview: United States look to defend title 0
- Official: Andrea Pirlo announces his arrival at New York City FC (video) 9
- GLORY IN PHOTOS: Our favorite shots from the USWNT’s winning evening in Vancouver 2
- CONCACAF lays out reform plan post-scandal: “People are right to be skeptical” 2
- Carli Lloyd proves she’s the Women’s World Cup hero she always knew she would be 1
- Mission accomplished: Abby Wambach gets her World Cup title 1