Jun 9, 2014, 7:40 AM EST
An injury to Ecuador midfielder Segundo Castillo has a Major League Soccer player on the plane to Brazil.
Tough-tackling Chivas USA midfielder Oswaldo Minda was cut from La Tri’s initial 23-man World Cup roster, but is back on the team for the tournament after Segundo sprained his right knee in a friendly against Mexico over the weekend.
Ecuador is in Group E with Switzerland, France and Honduras.
Minda, 30, has made 44 MLS appearances for the Goats in addition to 18 caps for Ecuador. He’s spent the majority of his career with Aucas and Deportivo Quito, two teams in his home nation’s Serie A.
- Men In Blazers podcast: Ginormous preview of 2015 MLS season with Alexi Lalas 0
- Manchester United’s Jonny Evans denies spitting, but Cisse apologizes as ban looms (video) 0
- 2015 MLS season preview: New York Red Bulls 1
- Who, if anybody, won the CBA negotiations in MLS: The players or the league? 8
- MLS, union come together to avoid calamitous work stoppage 10
- Wednesday’s Premier League roundup: Chelsea, Man City win; six of top seven prevail 0