Jun 9, 2014, 7:40 AM EDT
An injury to Ecuador midfielder Segundo Castillo has a Major League Soccer player on the plane to Brazil.
Tough-tackling Chivas USA midfielder Oswaldo Minda was cut from La Tri’s initial 23-man World Cup roster, but is back on the team for the tournament after Segundo sprained his right knee in a friendly against Mexico over the weekend.
Ecuador is in Group E with Switzerland, France and Honduras.
Minda, 30, has made 44 MLS appearances for the Goats in addition to 18 caps for Ecuador. He’s spent the majority of his career with Aucas and Deportivo Quito, two teams in his home nation’s Serie A.
- MLS Roundup: Sounders, D.C. United slip; LA gains ground in the West 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Southampton win, Liverpool upset 0
- West Ham United 3-1 Liverpool: Early goals send Irons to big upset 2
- Newcastle United 2-2 Hull City: Cisse’s brace saves embattled Magpies (video) 0
- Aston Villa 0-3 Arsenal: Red-hot Ozil, Welbeck fire Gunners to victory (video) 0