Jun 9, 2014, 7:40 AM EDT
An injury to Ecuador midfielder Segundo Castillo has a Major League Soccer player on the plane to Brazil.
Tough-tackling Chivas USA midfielder Oswaldo Minda was cut from La Tri’s initial 23-man World Cup roster, but is back on the team for the tournament after Segundo sprained his right knee in a friendly against Mexico over the weekend.
Ecuador is in Group E with Switzerland, France and Honduras.
Minda, 30, has made 44 MLS appearances for the Goats in addition to 18 caps for Ecuador. He’s spent the majority of his career with Aucas and Deportivo Quito, two teams in his home nation’s Serie A.
- Manchester United, adidas unveil kits with “smashing” photos 0
- Pep Guardiola on final year of contract: “Not completely convinced” he’s right for Bayern 1
- FA Community Shield preview: Will Arsenal or Chelsea claim the season’s first reward? 1
- Jose Mourinho issues Chelsea injury update; believes Arsenal can win Premier League 0
- After 12-year absence, Southampton wholeheartedly embrace European return 1
- Theo Walcott signs lucrative four-year contract at Arsenal; Cazorla extends 0