Jun 9, 2014, 7:40 AM EDT
An injury to Ecuador midfielder Segundo Castillo has a Major League Soccer player on the plane to Brazil.
Tough-tackling Chivas USA midfielder Oswaldo Minda was cut from La Tri’s initial 23-man World Cup roster, but is back on the team for the tournament after Segundo sprained his right knee in a friendly against Mexico over the weekend.
Ecuador is in Group E with Switzerland, France and Honduras.
Minda, 30, has made 44 MLS appearances for the Goats in addition to 18 caps for Ecuador. He’s spent the majority of his career with Aucas and Deportivo Quito, two teams in his home nation’s Serie A.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Manchester United vs. Chelsea headlines 0
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 2
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 3
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 2