Jun 9, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
The finest of Bavarian showers won’t keep Mario Mandzukic at Bayern Munich.
Deeming himself a misfit wit Pep Guardiola’s playing style, Mandzukic says he’ll be leaving the Bundesliga champions this summer.
The striker, 28, said he told Bayern officials of his desire even before the season ended. Guardiola is bringing in Robert Lewandowski next season, and Mandzukic was already a bit out-of-favor when it came to team selection.
The Croatian attacker was speaking to Sportske novosti on the weekend when he said the following:
“Let’s be honest, the style Guardiola wants at Bayern doesn’t suit me.”
“In the first leg against Real in Madrid (in the Champions League), I definitely understood, no matter how much I try, I can’t get the best out of myself with this style. When it’s like that, I don’t feel good and it’s best for everyone that we part.
“Thanks to the club who offered a contract extension, thanks to Guardiola, who is a great coach, and I wish everyone all the best for the future. Bayern and their fans will always be the most beautiful and most emotional story of my career. The time has come for new challenges.”
Mandzukic was thought to be departing Bayern after not suiting up for the DFB-Pokal final, and would be a boon for many top-flight teams. He has been linked with Manchester United — hasn’t everyone? — since January (and maybe earlier).
But his style could certainly fly in Serie A as well, or any number of Premier League spots. Where would you plug Mandzukic?
- Done Deals: De Bruyne joins Manchester City in busy day for Wolfsburg 1
- USMNT releases 23-man roster for September friendlies 2
- Swansea City 2-1 Manchester United: Swans comeback stuns Red Devils 3
- Sunday Transfer Rumor Roundup: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Wanyama to leave Saints 1
- Manchester City officially signs Kevin de Bruyne 1
- Watch Live: Swansea City vs Manchester United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0