Jun 9, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT
One game, 100 words or less: The LA Galaxy once again slumped to a disappointing fixture, failing to surpass Chivas USA in the SuperClasico. The “visitors” scored early in a torrent of pressure on the Galaxy back line, and Dan Kennedy kept LA from grabbing more than one of their own while setting the all-time Chivas appearances record.
Three moments that mattered:
1. 20′ Erick Torres got a charity hop off Leonardo, controlled the ball in a defender sandwich, and finished while off-balance to give Chivas USA the lead early after a spell of pressure.
2. 27′ A quick LA counter saw Landon Donovan’s beautiful curling effort bested by Dan Kennedy off the post and out, and he made it look even better by recovering in time to smother Marcelo Fazzio Sarvas’s recovery header.
3. 35′ Gyasi Zardes headed a back-post cross off the hand of Kennedy and in, and secured a point for the Galaxy, but they will have wanted more out of the pressure they placed on the Chivas defense in the second half.
Three lessons going forward:
1. The Galaxy aren’t the Galaxy without Robbie Keane – Not really a surprise here, but the end product is about half of what it is without Robbie Keane. Donovan put a brilliant shot on goal early and was unlucky it didn’t find the back of the net, but without Keane, it will be hard for the Galaxy to climb the table while he’s gone or injured. Even with 66% possession, they were unable to pull out the win.
2. LA can still be dangerous if they finish – Despite the negative tone surrounding the outcome, the Galaxy just missed their shooting boots. If they can turn that around, with Keane or not, they’ll rise up the table and make the most of the games in hand.
3. Chivas may not be gaining points, but they’re taking some – Chivas hasn’t gained points at any rate, but they sure are preventing anyone else from picking them up. Their bus is parked and has ensnared LA, Dallas, and Portland since April.
Where this leaves them:
- The Galaxy have caught the Earthquakes, but they failed to pull within 1 of Portland, which would have seriously set them up for a charge up the table. The misleading part is the Galaxy still have four games in hand on some, but will it be enough without a cutting edge?
- Chivas remains bottom, by 6 points, and while they have two games on some above them, they remain even with the Earthquakes on games played.
- Krieger credits Ellis, communication for United States’ defensive success 2
- Chile 0-0 (4-1 PKs) Argentina: Chile’s first Copa America title in 99-year history (video) 2
- Lloyd, Brian prove crucial to United States’ turnaround at Women’s World Cup 2
- Report: Robin van Persie agrees to personal terms with Fenerbahce 3
- Copa America Final preview: Argentina looks for first title since 1993 against hosts Chile 0
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: KPB to Orlando City, Liverpool in for Brazilian teen 4