Jun 9, 2014, 8:29 AM EDT
The curtain had just fallen on Southampton’s strong 2014 season when young stud defender Luke Shaw told Saints executives he wanted to move to Manchester United.
That’s the report today from the BBC, which claims that the 18-year-old English defender wasted little postseason time in declaring his intentions to leave St. Mary’s.
Shaw has been heavily-linked with a move away from Southampton and the destination has been Manchester United more often than not.
Saints chairman Ralph Krueger recently said there had been no offers for Shaw and others, but the BBC report claims otherwise:
The 18-year-old defender spoke to the Saints hierarchy at an event held at a hotel following the 1-1 home draw with United on 11 May.
By that time, United had already made a £27m offer for the left-back.
Southampton will not consider allowing any more of their players to leave until a new manager is appointed.
Saints hope to appoint a successor to manager Mauricio Pochettino,who joined Tottenham in late May, within the next 10 days, with former Dutch international Ronald Koeman a leading candidate for the post.
If the youngster was ready to go before Mauricio Pochettino skipped town for White Hart Lane, it stands to reason he remains ready for depart. With teammate Adam Lallana rumored for Liverpool and Rickie Lambert already there, Joe Prince-Wright’s “Southampton Fire Sale” post is looking more like a playbook.
- Krieger credits Ellis, communication for United States’ defensive success 2
- Chile 0-0 (4-1 PKs) Argentina: Chile’s first Copa America title in 99-year history (video) 2
- Lloyd, Brian prove crucial to United States’ turnaround at Women’s World Cup 2
- Report: Robin van Persie agrees to personal terms with Fenerbahce 4
- Copa America Final preview: Argentina looks for first title since 1993 against hosts Chile 0
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: KPB to Orlando City, Liverpool in for Brazilian teen 4