Jun 9, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
As we continue our countdown to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil here at PST, each day from now until the tournament begins we will look back at a memorable moment from years gone by.
Here is number 5.
PST’s Top 20 World Cup moments – No. 5: De Boer to Bergkamp equals beauty in 1998
Perhaps you haven’t heard someone scream “Dennis Bergkamp” violently for a solid 5 seconds before screaming in elation, in which case you’ve never seen the Dutch commentary of this remarkable goal that sent the Netherlands past Argentina and into the semifinals of the 1998 World Cup.
From 10 yards inside his own half, Frank de Boer sends an absolutely marvelous ball into the 18 that Bergkamp settles with his first touch, torches a defender with the second and scores a wondergoal with his third.
It’s beautiful, a goal that stirs up the guts of a soccer lover but Bergkamp arguably shouldn’t have been in the game. The Arsenal star was not sent off for stomping on the leg of a Yugoslavian player in the second round, leaving him available for the game against Argentina. The Netherlands would fall to Brazil penalty kicks during the semifinals.
And since I don’t speak Dutch, here’s what the commentator’s verbage seems to say in the above video if the Dutch were heard as English:
“Dennis Berg-kamp! Dennis Berg-kamp! Dennis Berg-kamp! Dennis Berg-kamp! Dennis Berg-kamp! Oooooooooooooh! Frank de Boer snapped the ball to Dennis Bergkamp, he made the ball’s final shot and he snapped the ball in there. The Spain and all can shout no Danish are coming! Dennis Berg-kamp!”
It’s a loose interpretation, but weird how he ended it. Also, below, Legos tell the story well. Thanks to The Guardian:
- The world wants Laura Bassett to know that her own goal is nothing to be ashamed of… 0
- Minnesota United misses MLS stadium deadline; Deputy commissioner speaks out 2
- Stoppage-time own goal sinks England, sends Japan to Women’s World Cup final 5
- Stars of CONCACAF: Ranking the top 10 players at the 2015 Gold Cup 7
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 10
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0