Jun 10, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
It’s safe to say most people would predict the order of finish for this group the same way, as Group F does not really tempt a prognosticator to get daring in their predictions. Still, will Lionel Messi go “next level” on his home continent?
Let’s take another look at Group F (click on country name for full preview)
Argentina: The biggest question is whether they’ll capitalize on their immense talent instead of underperforming. Loaded with talent, Argentina should emerge from the group relatively unscathed.
Iran: An absolutely massive challenge awaits the Persian Stars, whose only World Cup win was their 2-1 defeat of the United States in 1998. This is their fourth World Cup.
Nigeria: The Super Eagles are tasked with taking their brand of football to the opposition, and not being forced into playing a style that can get them beaten.
Who’s going through: Argentina and Bosnia & Herzegovina.
Who’s going home: Nigeria and Iran. The Super Eagles would be a significant upset were they to climb ahead of either BNH or Argentina, while a Top Two place for Iran would be among the biggest moments in World Cup history.
Marquee match: Nigeria vs. Bosnia & Herzegovina, June 25 at 1pm ET. BNH will be coming off a huge tilt with favorites Argentina, while Nigeria will be relieved or stressed depending on their point status after the Iran match.
Top players to watch:
5. Asmir Begovic, Bosnia and Herzegovina
4. Ashkan Dejagah, Iran
3. Miralem Pjanic, Bosnia and Herzegovina
2. Angel Di Maria, Argentina
1. Lionel Messi, Argentina
- AS Roma 1-7 Bayern Munich: Sublime Bayern smash Roma to go five points clear in Group E 0
- LIVE – Champions League half time update: Blowouts! Get your blowouts here! 0
- FOLLOW LIVE: At the half, unstoppable Bayern Munich up 5-0 at Roma 0
- CSKA Moscow 2-2 Manchester City: Citizens blow 2-0 lead, Champions League hopes in ruin 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer power rankings: Did Seattle, DC leapfrog LA? 0
- PST’s MLS Player of the Week: Heavy on Eastern Conference nominees 0