Jun 10, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
It’s safe to say most people would predict the order of finish for this group the same way, as Group F does not really tempt a prognosticator to get daring in their predictions. Still, will Lionel Messi go “next level” on his home continent?
Let’s take another look at Group F (click on country name for full preview)
Argentina: The biggest question is whether they’ll capitalize on their immense talent instead of underperforming. Loaded with talent, Argentina should emerge from the group relatively unscathed.
Iran: An absolutely massive challenge awaits the Persian Stars, whose only World Cup win was their 2-1 defeat of the United States in 1998. This is their fourth World Cup.
Nigeria: The Super Eagles are tasked with taking their brand of football to the opposition, and not being forced into playing a style that can get them beaten.
Who’s going through: Argentina and Bosnia & Herzegovina.
Who’s going home: Nigeria and Iran. The Super Eagles would be a significant upset were they to climb ahead of either BNH or Argentina, while a Top Two place for Iran would be among the biggest moments in World Cup history.
Marquee match: Nigeria vs. Bosnia & Herzegovina, June 25 at 1pm ET. BNH will be coming off a huge tilt with favorites Argentina, while Nigeria will be relieved or stressed depending on their point status after the Iran match.
Top players to watch:
5. Asmir Begovic, Bosnia and Herzegovina
4. Ashkan Dejagah, Iran
3. Miralem Pjanic, Bosnia and Herzegovina
2. Angel Di Maria, Argentina
1. Lionel Messi, Argentina
- MLS announces home openers for 2015 season 0
- Mourinho says Eden Hazard can become an all-time great 0
- After failed odyssey abroad, Brek Shea returns to MLS with Orlando City 3
- Lille, Werder Bremen noted frontrunners for Jozy Altidore’s services 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 17 0
- Another set back for Southampton: Jay Rodriguez’s nightmare year continues 0