Jun 11, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT
Even in the midst of World Cup preparations, there’s still plenty of time to concentrate on the rumors of the silly season. And often, clubs are generous enough to focus their transfer desires on players heading to Brazil, so at least you’ll know who to keep an eye on during the tournament.
Today’s rumor comes courtesy of Manchester United. That’s no surprise – with the team clinching the title two years ago, only to finish outside the European places last season, it’s obvious they have a massive rebuild to do. And expect to see them linked with just about every big name that could possibly be on his way out of his current club.
The Guardian is reporting that United’s new manager, Louis van Gaal, is eyeing up Alexis Sánchez. No surprises there, either – that man can really wear a suit. But more importantly, for United anyway, that man can really play soccer.
Sánchez broke through with Serie A side Udinese, helping them clinch a spot in the Champions League before being wooed away by Barcelona in the summer of 2011. Since then, he’s made 88 appearances with the La Liga club, scoring 39 goals.
He would also fit in perfectly to van Gaal’s preferred 4-3-3, as he’s a pacey forward, well able to play out wide. But to bring in the 25-year-old, Manchester United will likely have to shed one or two of their attackers. Ashley Young, Antonio Valencia and/or Shinji Kagawa could all find themselves surplus to requirements.
If you’re interested in seeing more of Alexis, he’ll be starring in Chile’s starting XI. They play their first World Cup game against Australia, on Friday, June 13th at 6.p.m.
- Sporting Club announces plans for $75 million “soccer village” for US Soccer National Training Center 0
- Pro-Palestinian protestors attack Israeli players on pitch in Austria 2
- “Embarrassed” in LA, thrilled in Manchester: Reactions to 7-0 beatdown 7
- Liverpool 0-1 AS Roma: Marco Borriello winner gives Italians victory at Fenway 0
- Houston Dynamo land USMNT legend DaMarcus Beasley 4
- Watch Live: Liverpool vs. AS Roma (Lineups and Discuss) 1