Jun 12, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
Each evening, PST will update you on how the Barclays Premier League’s stars are performing at the 2014 World Cup. Here are the returns after the day one in Brazil.
Júlio César, G, Brazil/QPR - Came up big in the second half as Croatia was pressing for an equalizer. Made three saves on three shots.
Nikica Jelavic, F, Croatia/Hull City - With Croatia struggling to keep the ball during the first half, Jelavic was limited to 18 touches over his 78 minutes. Two of them resulted in shots.
Dejan Lovren, D, Croatia/Southampton - The Saints center back was tested when Brazil probed Croatia’s left in the first half. In the second, Lovren was at the center of controversy when a harsh penalty call left him yellow carded and watching as Neymar scored the winner from the spot.
Paulinho, M, Brazil/Tottenham - Paulinho partnered Luiz Gustavo in central midfield in the Selecao’s 4-2-3-1 formation and finished the match with two shots, drawing a save from Stipe Pletikosa in the 21st minute.
Oscar, M, Brazil/Chelsea - One of the day’s two stars, Oscar assisted on Neymar’s opener before scoring Brazil’s late insurance.
Ramires, M, Brazil/Chelsea - Came on in the 88th minute of Neymar and recorded an assist on Oscar’s game-sealing goal – his only recorded touch of the match.
- EXCLUSIVE: Fresh off his club debut, young Emerson Hyndman takes his USMNT chance in stride 0
- From Prague, with love: Klinsmann previews USA’s friendly vs. Czech Republic 4
- Record summer: Breaking the transfer window down, by the numbers 0
- Premier League transfer window grades – Which team did the best business? 3
- Done Deal: Radamel Falcao completes move to Manchester United 5
- Done Deal: Better late than never, Arsenal seals deal with Welbeck 2