Jun 12, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
Each evening, PST will update you on how the Barclays Premier League’s stars are performing at the 2014 World Cup. Here are the returns after the day one in Brazil.
Júlio César, G, Brazil/QPR - Came up big in the second half as Croatia was pressing for an equalizer. Made three saves on three shots.
Nikica Jelavic, F, Croatia/Hull City - With Croatia struggling to keep the ball during the first half, Jelavic was limited to 18 touches over his 78 minutes. Two of them resulted in shots.
Dejan Lovren, D, Croatia/Southampton - The Saints center back was tested when Brazil probed Croatia’s left in the first half. In the second, Lovren was at the center of controversy when a harsh penalty call left him yellow carded and watching as Neymar scored the winner from the spot.
Paulinho, M, Brazil/Tottenham - Paulinho partnered Luiz Gustavo in central midfield in the Selecao’s 4-2-3-1 formation and finished the match with two shots, drawing a save from Stipe Pletikosa in the 21st minute.
Oscar, M, Brazil/Chelsea - One of the day’s two stars, Oscar assisted on Neymar’s opener before scoring Brazil’s late insurance.
Ramires, M, Brazil/Chelsea - Came on in the 88th minute of Neymar and recorded an assist on Oscar’s game-sealing goal – his only recorded touch of the match.
- Paul Scholes says arrogance could hurt Manchester City 0
- MLS playoffs weekend preview: Which remaining team has the best form? 0
- Van Gaal: Manchester Derby is “biggest” he’ll manage; Rooney in, Falcao out 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 10 4
- Diego Costa will be available to Chelsea this weekend, says Jose Mourinho; QPR and Blues to tangle on NBCSN 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton the standouts 1