Jun 15, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Switzerland will be an unknown no more after they take on Ecuador from the Estadio Nacional in Brasilia, kicking off at 12 noon ET.
The Swiss bunch won its Euro qualifying group, but with opponents such as Iceland, Norway, Slovenia, Albania, and Cyprus, it’s hard to tell exactly what this team is made of.
With nine players 23 years old or younger, the squad is incredibly young and inexperienced, but those youngsters are massively talented.
A number of kids on the Swiss team are incredibly fresh. Striker Josip Drmic didn’t feature too much during the qualification, but has earned a place at the end of the round robin and in the subsequent friendlies, scoring three goals in two March friendlies and putting himself in pole position to start in Ottmar Hitzfeld’s attack.
Ecuador is back at the big dance after missing out in 2010, and they’re known for all-or-nothing play. Having never drawn a World Cup game, Ecuador is 3-0-4 in tournament matches overall.
Manchester United’s Antonio Valencia is ready to lead his team into Brasilia, but will look to avoid the fate that fell to him in their most recent friendly, against England when he was sent off for a tussle with Raheem Sterling
Switzerland – Benaglio; Lichtsteiner, Von Bergen, Rodriguez, Djourou; Xhaka, Behrami, Inler; Drmic, Stocker, Shaqiri.
Ecuador – Domínguez; Paredes, Guagua, Erazo, Ayoví; Gruezo, Noboa, A Valencia, Noboa; E Valencia, Caicedo.
1. How will the young Swiss team react on the big stage? With so many new players, the Switzerland squad is coming into such a big stage for the first time. They haven’t lost since November when they fell at South Korea 2-1 in a friendly – their only loss in the last two years. However, the squad has morphed and changed much since then, and the lack of consistency could also affect their performance.
2. Can Ecuador score on the Swiss defense? Since drawing 4-4 with Iceland last September, Switzerland has conceded just five goals in seven matches. Ecuador’s attack will be led by Valencia and headed by 25-year-old Pachuca striker Enner Valencia. It will be tough to get past that Swiss back line, but if this exciting World Cup has taught us anything, even the best are vulnerable.
Expectations: Honestly, this is a mystery. Expecting anything particular out of this match is setting one’s self up for disappointment. The Swiss will be the favorites thanks to their FIFA ranking, but that is misleading.
One blogger’s prediction: Oy, asking me to predict this one is scary. I’m high on Drmic, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Switzerland grabs a slim 1-0 lead, scoring towards the end of the first half and tightening up even more the last 45 minutes.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:52 PM EDT
The leaked images of United’s kit were the real McCoy, and the Red Devils white-cuffed kits are pretty sharp.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:09 PM EDT
What’s 5,000 or so miles amongst fans?
Jul 31, 2015, 8:14 PM EDT
Guardiola can erase a minor Bayern demon with his first Super Cup win on Saturday versus Wolfsburg.
Jul 31, 2015, 7:08 PM EDT
In the PDL, Seattle Sounders U-23, New York Red Bulls U-23, K-W United and Ocala Stampede are left, while the NPSL has New York Cosmos B, Chattanooga FC, Indiana Fire and CD Aguiluchos USA remaining.
Jul 31, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
Arsenal looks to win its second-straight Community Shield, something that only Manchester United has been able to do since 2000.
Jul 31, 2015, 6:03 PM EDT
Dick Advocaat is hoping familiarity will combine with a couple buys to help Sunderland avoid a relegation fight for the 1st time in a while.
Jul 31, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
In a BBC feature, Bill Peterson makes it clear he thinks the desire for pro/rel is real.
Jul 31, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT
Johannsson had already said he wants to play Stateside in “his prime”, but a Yahoo Sports report said his desires have obstacles.
Jul 31, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT
The Lions will continue to play at the Citrus Bowl until the new venue is completed.
Jul 31, 2015, 3:16 PM EDT
Is this the case of a 33-year-old who’s over the hill, or can he return to the form which saw him score double-digit goals and assists?
Jul 31, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Will the Saints keep marching up the PL standings? Maybe a European campaign will derail their progress?
Jul 31, 2015, 1:18 PM EDT
After signing nine new players this summer, is Sherwood taking a gamble?
Jul 31, 2015, 12:40 PM EDT
Here’s the latest gossip from around the PL.
Jul 31, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT
Can the Potters build on their best-ever PL finish last season? The top eight is a possibility for Hughes’ side.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT
Blues boss compliments Gunners, gives update on injured duo ahead of Community Shield match.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:47 AM EDT
Soaking in the atmosphere on a special night at St Mary’s, as Saints’ Europa League campaign began.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Terry: “Regardless of what people say, you can’t take away what I have won and done in the game.”
Jul 31, 2015, 7:55 AM EDT
Gunners keep experienced duo around, as Walcott decides to stay at the Emirates.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:27 PM EDT
Louis van Gaal seems to have misplaced his club’s $90 million investment, purchased just 12 months ago.
Jul 30, 2015, 8:10 PM EDT
With three attacking signings already made this summer, Balotelli and Borini look destined to leave Liverpool before the transfer deadline.
- Manchester United, adidas unveil kits with “smashing” photos 0
- Pep Guardiola on final year of contract: “Not completely convinced” he’s right for Bayern 0
- FA Community Shield preview: Will Arsenal or Chelsea claim the season’s first reward? 0
- Jose Mourinho issues Chelsea injury update; believes Arsenal can win Premier League 0
- After 12-year absence, Southampton wholeheartedly embrace European return 1
- Theo Walcott signs lucrative four-year contract at Arsenal; Cazorla extends 0