Jun 16, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
Former Feyenoord boss Ronald Koeman is taking over for Mauricio Pochettino at Southampton, and he’s bringing his brother with him.
SkySports is reporting that the Saints have tabbed Koeman, 51, to be their new coach on a three-year deal, with Erwin Koeman coming as his assistant.
Ronald Koeman has won three Eredivisie titles — two with Ajax, one with PSV — and has had success with Valencia in La Liga as well. His brother also managed Feyenoord between 2005-2007.
The agents of both brothers confirmed that talks were ongoing on Monday, with Ronald’s representative Guido Albers telling Voetbal International that his client was “the ideal candidate to build Southampton’s squad”.
Erwin’s agent Kees Ploegsma said: “It’s correct that there are talks. They want Ronald to be manager and his brother Erwin as his assistant.”
The duo boast extensive managerial experience, with Ronald having bossed the likes of Ajax, Benfica, PSV Eindhoven and Valencia before taking over at Feyenoord in 2011.
The Koemans have a heck of a job ahead of them, with Rickie Lambert having already departed for Liverpool and several players also being linked with moves away from Southampton (including England national teamers Adam Lallana and Luke Shaw).
- Premier League roundup: Tense Saturday, as relegation battle intensifies 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Aston Villa: Stunning finish sees City hold on after Guzan’s blunder 0
- Back in the big time: Watford promoted to the Premier League 2
- Burnley 0-1 Leicester City: Foxes move out of drop zone, send Clarets bottom! 0
- Southampton 2-2 Tottenham Hotspur: Visitors twice come back from Pelle goals 0
- Watch Live: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool (Lineups and Live Stream) 0