Jun 16, 2014, 11:37 PM EDT
Monday’s matches at the 2014 World Cup ran the gambit, from the U.S.’s drama-laden finale back to Germany’s four-goal thumping of Portugal, with a forgettable match between Iran and Nigeria in the middle. With seven goals and a hat trick from Thomas Müller, Monday built on the themes that were established though the tournament’s first four days, overcoming the competition’s first 0-0 draw to continue its high-scoring pace.
Where has that pace left us? In Group F, Iran and Nigeria are tied in second place behind Argentina, whose Sunday win leaves the Albiceleste two points clear. With the Bosnians only one point back of second, however, the two underdogs may rue their chance to separate themselves from one of the packet’s favored squads.
In Group G, Germany and the United States are tied at the top, though the Germans’ lopsided win gives them the goal difference edge, should it matter come June 26. Portugal, whose loss leaves them more likely to need those tie breaking scenarios, sit without a point and a -4 goal difference, while Ghana has a -1 to accompany the “0” in its “PTS” column.
Here are highlights of the day’s matches. If they look weird, but don’t worry: Just because there’s no image doesn’t mean that play button’s broken:
- Dempsey at the gun, Brooks at the death deliver victory for the U.S., 2-1 over Ghana
- USA 2-1 Ghana: United States Man of the Match rankings
- US injury update: Dempsey with a broken nose, Altidore’s status bleak
- Fuzzy numbers, Klinsmann, and Captain Clint: Talking points after the U.S.’s win over Ghana
- Looking ahead: After gritty win over Ghana, can US morph its style to challenge Portugal?
- Matías Pérez García announced, becomes third Designated Player in San Jose history 0
- Is Everton’s new striker Romelu Lukaku worth $47 million? 1
- Simeone praises Klinsmann’s US program that “seduces us as coaches” 2
- Neymar’s recovery from World Cup back injury “almost 100 percent” 0
- Reports: Jermaine Jones coming to Chicago, move welcomed by Fire 2
- Atlético Madrid latest club linked with Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernández 4