Jun 17, 2014, 12:57 PM EST
Story of the half: Algeria and Valencia striker Sofiane Feghouli said, “Belgium is not to be feared.” He followed it up by scoring the penalty that gave the Desert Foxes a 1-0 lead against heavy favorites Belgium.
The penalty came on a silly takedown by Jan Vertonghen, who fed into Algeria coach Vahid Halilhodzic’s assertion that Belgium defenders “are no Ferraris”.
FOLLOW LIVE: Soccerly’s real-time match center
Goals (and how they happened):
23′ – Feghouli gets ahead of Jan Vertonghen, who pushes him to the turf before the Algerian can latch onto a great cross. Vertonghen sees yellow and Feghouli beats Courtois to put the underdogs in front.
Other key moments:
10′ - Belgium looks out of sorts, and can’t find a way through Algeria. The stubborn CAF side cannot punish the “dark horses” of the tournament, but a better team would’ve put them to the coals.
20′ – The first real shot of the match is an Axel Witsel shot that is punched away from Mbolhi.
44′ – Nacer Chadli is the recipient of some strong work from Eden Hazard, but the Tottenham hit his low shot right at Adi Mbolhi.
Belgium: Courtois, Alderweireld, Van Buyten, Kompany, Vertonghen, Witsel, Dembele, De Bruyne, Hazard, Chadli, Lukaku
Algeria: Mbolhi, Bougherra (c), Ghoulam, Halliche, Feghouli, Medjani, Bentaleb, Soudani, Taider, Mahrez, Mostefa
Question for the second half:
- Can Belgium find its way through – Algeria was ready to play stingy, and the goal has upped their intensity and commitment to it. De Bruyne and Hazard have come close, but can they get through?
- Chile vs. USA preview: Who’s here to stay as USMNT kicks off 2015? 0
- Report: Juan Agudelo close to signing with his former MLS team, New England Revolution 4
- Head of Dutch FA, Michael van Praag, will challenge Blatter for FIFA presidency 2
- Newcastle United name John Carver head coach until end of 2014-15 season 0
- Transfer ban for Real Madrid? Probe launched after signing of Venezuelan kids 3
- Transfer rumor roundup: Ings to Tottenham Hotspur, Busquets to Manchester United 0