Jun 17, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT
The match kicks off at Noon ET. Here’s what you need to know before the Desert Foxes and Red Devils kick off Group H.
Belgium: Courtois, Alderweireld, Van Buyten, Kompany, Vertonghen, Witsel, Dembele, De Bruyne, Hazard, Chadli, Lukaku
Algeria: Mbolhi, Bougherra (c), Ghoulam, Halliche, Feghouli, Medjani, Bentaleb, Soudani, Taider, Mahrez, Mostefa
1. Is Belgium as good as advertised? Head coach Marc Wilmots knows that there’s plenty of variation in the perception of his team.
“The international press have called us an outsider and a favourite at the same time. It is a great pleasure to be back in the competition with players who are hungry and have a desire to achieve.”
2. Did Algeria coach Vahid Halilhodzic get Belgium’s attention with his ‘cheap cars’ comment? There may be no chance of Algeria surprising a Belgian team after the following comments.
“Ok, let’s just say their defenders are no Ferraris but the same goes for ours. Belgium have exceptional qualities and it has been said this is their best ever team. We are going to suffer that we know already. We will suffer on all levels and I tell my boys that their suffering has to be at the highest level if you want to achieve something.”
No big deal?
Expectation: Belgium finds its footing and forces Algeria into the up-tempo battle it has prepared for all month long.
One blogger’s prediction: Belgium answers the bell with a comfortable 2-0 win.
- Klinsmann’s USMNT struggles, experimentation in friendlies: Does it really matter? 0
- Klinsmann explains philosophy behind mad scientist lineups, formations for USMNT 1
- Russia wants full points from match abandoned after Akinfeev struck in head by flare (video) 0
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 7
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0