Jun 17, 2014, 8:42 AM EDT
For all the highs in America, there are heads hanging low in Ghana.
But that doesn’t mean Ghana star Asamoah Gyan is giving up hope for the 2014 World Cup after his nation’s 2-1 loss to the United States in Monday’s Group G match.
The man whose pregame quotes said the Black Stars were “the more talented team” is confident that his team’s performance has some places to hang hats.
“I think we did well,” Gyan told AllSports.com.gh. “We dominated the game but we were a bit nervous in the beginning. We lost concentration and the early goal made us even more nervous. When we equalised, we did not concentrate and then conceded from a corner kick which was not good.”
Gyan must now pick up the rest of the team for a crunch game against Germany who were ruthless in their 4-0 thrashing of Portugal earlier in the day.
He said: “Germany have won by four goals so their confidence is high, we have lost and want to come back strongly. We have to stay focused. The confidence is still there even though we have lost. We still have the quality. We don’t have to give up for no reason at all.”
Ghana head coach Kwesi Appiah had similar feelings:
“I think that early goal was a disaster, it was unfortunate,” Appiah said post-match.
“Loss of concentration cost us big time. All I can say is that it was a very tough game and when you play at this high level any little mistake can cost you dearly.”
A win against Germany is a must for Ghana, while the United States will hope to put themselves on an easier road with a Sunday win against Portugal.
- Jose Mourinho says “best team lost,” attacks Arsenal’s defensive tactics, as Chelsea beaten at their own game 0
- Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho fail to shake hands, as Gunners boss finally prevails 0
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s Community Shield win vs. Chelsea 0
- Arsenal 1-0 Chelsea: Oxlade-Chamberlain strike wins Gunners FA Community Shield 0
- Report: Manchester United, PSG agree to $70 million fee for Angel di Maria 2
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 Vancouver Whitecaps (video) 2