Jun 18, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
Twitter is erupting with news that ahead of the Group B World Cup showdown with Spain, Chile fans have breached stadium security and are storming the stadium.
Reports are flying in from a number of respected outlets, including Gabrielle Marcotti, Rafael Hongistein and Telegraph Sport, that dozens of Chile fans without tickets broke through a fence and charged into the stadium via the main press center.
While in the press center, holes were punched in walls and media stations were toppled, all the result of a failure in security measures ahead of one of the most anticipated matches of the group stage.
A number of the Chile fans were detained by security while others seemed to have made it into the stands after breaking a temporary barrier. One fan, a Chilean woman, was injured and reportedly taken outside in a wheelchair.
More to follow but for now, these tweets paint the picture…
- VIDEO: Chelsea’s Eden Hazard dances around Barcelona to score magical goal 0
- Chelsea 2-2 Barcelona: Good-looking goals to spare in Maryland (video) 2
- Official: Miguel Herrera fired by Mexico days after Gold Cup win, alleged attack on journalist 13
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Benzema to Arsenal, Berahino to Tottenham 5
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Chelsea 1
- Russian president Vladimir Putin believes Sepp Blatter deserves Nobel Prize 6