Jun 18, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
Twitter is erupting with news that ahead of the Group B World Cup showdown with Spain, Chile fans have breached stadium security and are storming the stadium.
Reports are flying in from a number of respected outlets, including Gabrielle Marcotti, Rafael Hongistein and Telegraph Sport, that dozens of Chile fans without tickets broke through a fence and charged into the stadium via the main press center.
While in the press center, holes were punched in walls and media stations were toppled, all the result of a failure in security measures ahead of one of the most anticipated matches of the group stage.
A number of the Chile fans were detained by security while others seemed to have made it into the stands after breaking a temporary barrier. One fan, a Chilean woman, was injured and reportedly taken outside in a wheelchair.
More to follow but for now, these tweets paint the picture…
Chile fans breach security… Try to break into ground—
Gabriele Marcotti (@Marcotti) June 18, 2014
- Vancouver sends Nigel Reo-Coker to Chivas USA for Mauro Rosales 0
- Tim Howard taking a break from U.S. international duty 5
- Report: Xabi Alonso heading to Manchester United 9
- Mario Balotelli edging closer to shock $26 million Liverpool switch 16
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Tiote to Arsenal, Destro to Chelsea 0
- Angel Di Maria gets love from Ronaldo, Sergio Ramos and Diego Simeone 2