Jun 18, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
Twitter is erupting with news that ahead of the Group B World Cup showdown with Spain, Chile fans have breached stadium security and are storming the stadium.
Reports are flying in from a number of respected outlets, including Gabrielle Marcotti, Rafael Hongistein and Telegraph Sport, that dozens of Chile fans without tickets broke through a fence and charged into the stadium via the main press center.
While in the press center, holes were punched in walls and media stations were toppled, all the result of a failure in security measures ahead of one of the most anticipated matches of the group stage.
A number of the Chile fans were detained by security while others seemed to have made it into the stands after breaking a temporary barrier. One fan, a Chilean woman, was injured and reportedly taken outside in a wheelchair.
More to follow but for now, these tweets paint the picture…
- Next step: Las Vegas soccer stadium moves forward, but there’s a catch 0
- Lionel Messi heading to PSG, Chelsea? Not so fast, say Barcelona 0
- $88 million Edinson Cavani linked to Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United 2
- Europa League Preview: Everton head to Russia, Spurs host Besiktas 0
- Report: Diego Maradona nearing deal to manage Palestinian National Team 1
- Three things we learned after Liverpool’s latest defeat, this time vs. Basel 6