Jun 19, 2014, 12:51 PM EST
An electric pro-Colombian crowd at the Estádio Nacional Mané Garrincha in Brasília got quite an early show from its heroes, but the final ball went missing as Colombia and Ivory Coast tangled for Group C supremacy.
It’s scoreless at the break, with Les Elephants taking it to Colombia late but also unable to find a marker. It’s a promising game, but Didier Drogba‘s potential arrival looms over the proceedings.
FOLLOW LIVE: Soccerly’s real-time match center
Goals (and how they happened):
Other key moments:
20′ – Colombia controlled the match early, with possession and danger mixed in amongst moments of individual brilliance. It wasn’t until the final 8-10 minutes that the Ivory Coast found its offensive footing.
28′ - A brilliant ball from Cuadrado was flubbed off the front of Teo Gutierrez’s foot, who was already celebrating when he realized he had murdered the prime scoring chance.
32′ – Aurier’s slick stepover created space about 12 yards out from goal, but his low shot was corralled by Ospina. It was arguably the Ivory Coast’s best chance of the half.
Colombia -Ospina; Armero, Zapata, Yepes (c), Zúñiga; Aguilar, Sánchez, James, Cuadrado, Ibarbo; Teo.
Question for the second half:
- Will Didier save the day? - Ivory Coast coach Sabri Lamouchi says Drogba knows his role and accepts it, but Les Elephants need every bit of danger against Colombia.
- Can Colombia find the final ball via wing play? Los Cafeteros are roaring down the flanks, but haven’t found the finish. Will they come more through the middle or keep up the plan?
- Raheem Sterling named best young player in Europe, wins ‘Golden Boy’ award 0
- Watch Live: Manchester City vs. Crystal Palace (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 17 0
- MLS announces home openers for 2015 season 2
- Mourinho says Eden Hazard can become an all-time great 2
- After failed odyssey abroad, Brek Shea returns to MLS with Orlando City 3