Jun 19, 2014, 2:10 PM EST
Desperation is the key word as Luis Suarez returns to front a Uruguay team fighting for its World Cup dreams against an unchanged England side doing the very same thing.
Kickoff is at 3pm ET from Arena de São Paulo in, obviously, São Paulo.
Uruguay: Muslera; Pereira, Godín, Jimenez, Cáceres; Rodríguez, Gargano, Ríos, Lodeiro; Suárez, Cavani.
England: Hart; Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines; Gerrard, Henderson; Welbeck, Sterling, Rooney; Sturridge.
1. Who’s facing more pressure, England or Uruguay? Is it the South American club playing with high expectations on its home continent, or an English team whose coach asked its captain to make sure they knew how important the World Cup is?
England’s Steven Gerrard on his message to the team: ” I have had that feeling of going out of a major tournament. I know what that feeling is about and that is the feeling I don’t want come Friday morning… There is no hiding place for a player when you go out of a tournament. You go home earlier than you expect. It can be tough as a player and it can take an awful long time to get over it.”
2. How healthy is Suarez?
“His knee seems to have adapted to the work he has been doing. He’s been training and playing with his team-mates during this last week. So he was able to train, but a training session is not the same as a match. If he plays against England we must consider the possibility that he’s not as well as he was during the Premier League.
“Even when he’s not 100 per cent, he is someone who can give a lot to his team. That’s what we’re considering right now.”
Expectation: The unexpected? Will Wayne Rooney will a stud, a showpiece or a stinging disappointment? Will Suarez be the danger man of Premier League 2013/14, or a shell of himself thanks to injury?
One blogger’s prediction: Uruguay finds enough danger to pull out a 2-1 win.
- MLS Week 1 preview: Sounders vs. Revs, Timbers vs. RSL headline First Kick weekend 0
- FA Cup preview: Wembley trips on the line as Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool shoot for semis 0
- Now that it’s happening, MLS’s 20th season is sure to be the best one yet 4
- 2015 MLS season preview: LA Galaxy 1
- 2015 MLS season preview: Portland Timbers 0
- PST predicts Major League Soccer’s 2015 standings; Do you agree? 9