Jun 19, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Rumors have connected Kaká to Orlando City ever since Flavio de Silva and Phil Rawlins’ club was granted a spot in Major League Soccer, but moments ago, those rumors received their first piece of firm backing. According to ESPN’s Taylor Twellman, the Brazilian star has signed with the Orlando as a Designated Player and will be loaned out to São Paulo FC until the beginning of next season.
Kaká, 32, spent last season at AC Milan, returning to his first European club after a injury-laden spell with Real Madrid. He finished the season with nine goals in 37 all-competition appearances, playing 30 of the Rossoneri’s 38 matches in Serie A.
Despite that performance, rumors have linked the former São Paulo player with a move away from Milan, with the club’s disappointing season leading to changes in management that will send the team in a different direction.
Now, Kaká appears to be one of those changes. Here’s the tweet for Twellman, who has a history of breaking MLS news via his Twitter account:
Kaká won the Ballon d’Or as the world’s best player in 2007, seven months after leading Milan to a Champions League title. While making 89 appearances for Brazil, the attacking midfielder has scored 29 international goals. appearing at the 2002, 2006, and 2010 World Cups.
After four seasons with Real Madrid, Kaká moved back to Milan in Sept. 2013 on a two-year contract. It is unclear whether Orlando City SC would pay a transfer fee or the Rossoneri would release him from his deal.
- FIFA ethics committee bans 11 current, former officials from all football-related activities 1
- UEFA calls for postponement of FIFA presidential election, threatens to boycott congress 4
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter releases first statement since overnight arrests 10
- Three things we learned from the US Department of Justice news conference on the FIFA investigation 6
- FIFA presidential elections will go on Friday despite arrests 5
- FBI, US Department of Justice issues damning statement on FIFA, details corruption investigation 8