Jun 19, 2014, 2:23 PM EST
Perhaps the Seattle Sounders have a lot more to worry about with Obafemi Martins than his red card appeal.
In what would be a surprising move, a report is tipping Seattle Sounders and former Newcastle United striker Obafemi Martins with a switch to Besiktas. It wouldn’t be the first time Martins has been linked with a return to Europe, as he was tipped for Galatasaray move last year that clearly didn’t pan out.
Martins, 29, was left off the Nigeria squad for the 2014 World Cup but has harnessed his touch with the Sounders. His eight goals are tied for fourth in MLS with teammate Clint Dempsey.
The report comes from a translator of Sky Sports Italy reporter Gianluca Di Marzio, and was Retweeted by Di Marzio.
Obviously this is very early in the goings, and no other source has dropped this news yet, but Martins has had a nomadic career since spending six years at Inter Milan from 2001-06.
Since then, he’s played at Newcastle from 2006-09, Wolfsburgh from 2009-10, Rubin Kazan from 2010-12, Levante from 2012-13 and of course Seattle (with a loan to Birmingham City mixed in during 2011).
It would certainly be a hit for Seattle. We’ll see what develops, if anything, in Martins’ potential move to join Jermaine Jones at Besiktas.
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS predictions: Cup winners? MVP? Lampard or Gerrard? Kaka or Giovinco? 2
- MLS Atlanta makes shrewd hire, bringing in Carlos Bocanegra as technical director 0
- BBC report: Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a 15-year-old girl 4
- Premier League Playback: Why Manchester City are throwing away the title 0