Jun 21, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
Seattle Reign and USWNT goalkeeper Hope Solo was arrested on Friday night after police were called to her Kirkland, WA home to investigate. Solo is being held, without bail, on two counts of investigation of domestic-violence assault.
Kirkland police Lt. Mike Murray said that officers were called to Solo’s home, which she shares with her husband, former NFL player Jerramy Stevens, to investigate an assault and noise disturbance. “There was a big party going on at her house. It was an out-of-control situation,” Murray said.
The police said Solo got into an argument with relatives and, at some point during the party, allegedly assaulted both her sister and her nephew. Murray stated, “There were visible injuries on them.”
Solo, a native of Richland, WA, returned to her home state as a goalkeeper for Seattle Sounders Women in 2012. She was allocated to Seattle Reign FC in January 2013. Solo has been first-choice ‘keeper for the United States Women’s National Team since 2005, and recorded her record-tying 71st career shutout last week, when the USWNT beat France 1-0 in a friendly.
A statement from U.S. Soccer reads: “We are aware of the situation. At this point, we don’t have any further comments.”
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 2
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 7
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 5
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 3
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1