Jun 22, 2014, 11:32 PM EST
According to a combine investigative report by The Daily Telegraph and British TV program Dispatches, Ghana is embroiled in allegations of match-fixing by members and associates of the Ghanian FA.
The journalist investigation allegedly caught FIFA-registered agent Christopher Forsythe and Ghanian FA member Obed Nketiah claiming they could pay referees to fix matches.
The pair have been reported to the police, according to a response statement by the Ghanian FA, saying “we will seek strong sanctions if such claims are found to be true.”
The report alleges that the pair were recorded at a pre-World Cup camp in Miami discussing with other country officials a pre-contract meant to allow Forsythe and Nketiah the rights to arrange a number of future friendlies for the national team that would be rigged.
The Ghanian FA vehemently denied the outcome of that meeting, saying “We wish to state that the GFA did not sign the contract as we waited for the response from the legal committee and that the two gentlemen did not make such corrupt offers to the GFA or its officials.”
However, according to the report in The Telegraph, Ghanian FA president Kwesi Nyantakyi indeed agreed to the contract “on a trial basis” wherein the accused pair would acquire the rights to put on the matches under the veil of a fake investment company as long as they could assign the match officials.
The Ghanian FA confirmed that the pair approached the governing body about buying the rights to friendly matches involving the national team, but did not know about any match-fixing involved.
- Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death (video) 1
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0