Jun 22, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
According to a combine investigative report by The Daily Telegraph and British TV program Dispatches, Ghana is embroiled in allegations of match-fixing by members and associates of the Ghanian FA.
The journalist investigation allegedly caught FIFA-registered agent Christopher Forsythe and Ghanian FA member Obed Nketiah claiming they could pay referees to fix matches.
The pair have been reported to the police, according to a response statement by the Ghanian FA, saying “we will seek strong sanctions if such claims are found to be true.”
The report alleges that the pair were recorded at a pre-World Cup camp in Miami discussing with other country officials a pre-contract meant to allow Forsythe and Nketiah the rights to arrange a number of future friendlies for the national team that would be rigged.
The Ghanian FA vehemently denied the outcome of that meeting, saying “We wish to state that the GFA did not sign the contract as we waited for the response from the legal committee and that the two gentlemen did not make such corrupt offers to the GFA or its officials.”
However, according to the report in The Telegraph, Ghanian FA president Kwesi Nyantakyi indeed agreed to the contract “on a trial basis” wherein the accused pair would acquire the rights to put on the matches under the veil of a fake investment company as long as they could assign the match officials.
The Ghanian FA confirmed that the pair approached the governing body about buying the rights to friendly matches involving the national team, but did not know about any match-fixing involved.
- Klinsmann on USMNT’s win over Guatemala: “I’m not happy with that performance” 0
- USMNT player ratings: How Klinsmann’s men fared against Guatemala 1
- USA 4-0 Guatemala: USMNT cruises into Gold Cup with win in Nashville 0
- World players’ union FIFPro opens door to women for first time in 50-year history 0
- How will USMNT line up vs. Guatemala in final pre-Gold Cup friendly? 3
- Chile vs. Argentina – Three key battles that will decide the Copa America final 0