Jun 23, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Surely Spain planned on its final match of group play meaning very little, but it was in a much different way.
The reigning champs have already been eliminated, and face an Australia team eager to make history with an upset rather than finish an inspired but fruitless tournament at 0-3.
Meanwhile, Chile looks set to put South America atop Group B and send Netherlands to a probable match-up with Brazil. Let’s take a look at today’s matches:
Spain: Reina; Juanfran, Ramos, Albiol, Alba; Cazorla, Alonso, Koke, Iniesta; Torres, Villa
Australia: Ryan, McGowan, Spiranovic, Wilkinson, Davidson, McKay, Jedinak, Bozanic, Leckie, Taggart, Oar
Expectations: Australia will come out hard, but it will look closer to the Netherlands match than anything else as the Spanish pride fights back.
One blogger’s prediction: 2-2.
Chile: Bravo; Silva, Medel, Jara; Mena, Isla, Aranguiz, Diaz; Gutierrez; Sanchez, Vargas
Netherlands: Cillessen; Vlaar, de Vrij, Blind; Janmaat, de Jong, Wijnaldum, Kuyt; Sneijder; Robben, Lens
Expectations: Netherlands will struggle without Robin van Persie before finding their form. Expect this to look a bit like the US/Portugal game with Netherlands playing the role of the US.
One blogger’s prediction: Chile, 3-2.
- VIDEO: Mario Balotelli takes amazing selfie with two pitch invaders 0
- Teams confirm Dejan Lovren completes transfer from Southampton to Liverpool 0
- Loïc Rémy fails medical, move to Liverpool is off 5
- Ángel Di María approaching Paris Saint-Germain move 0
- Personal terms all that separates Griezmann from $40 million move to Atlético Madrid 0
- Manuel Pellegrini talks title ambitions, Manchester City vs. AC Milan, US tour 1