Jun 23, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Surely Spain planned on its final match of group play meaning very little, but it was in a much different way.
The reigning champs have already been eliminated, and face an Australia team eager to make history with an upset rather than finish an inspired but fruitless tournament at 0-3.
Meanwhile, Chile looks set to put South America atop Group B and send Netherlands to a probable match-up with Brazil. Let’s take a look at today’s matches:
Spain: Reina; Juanfran, Ramos, Albiol, Alba; Cazorla, Alonso, Koke, Iniesta; Torres, Villa
Australia: Ryan, McGowan, Spiranovic, Wilkinson, Davidson, McKay, Jedinak, Bozanic, Leckie, Taggart, Oar
Expectations: Australia will come out hard, but it will look closer to the Netherlands match than anything else as the Spanish pride fights back.
One blogger’s prediction: 2-2.
Chile: Bravo; Silva, Medel, Jara; Mena, Isla, Aranguiz, Diaz; Gutierrez; Sanchez, Vargas
Netherlands: Cillessen; Vlaar, de Vrij, Blind; Janmaat, de Jong, Wijnaldum, Kuyt; Sneijder; Robben, Lens
Expectations: Netherlands will struggle without Robin van Persie before finding their form. Expect this to look a bit like the US/Portugal game with Netherlands playing the role of the US.
One blogger’s prediction: Chile, 3-2.
- WATCH: Men in Blazers show debuts on NBCSN 0
- Report: Obafemi Martins close to Seattle extension and raise 0
- DC United extends Ben Olsen’s contract after bounceback season 1
- Premier League Download: Tale of the newly-promoted teams 0
- FIFA Executive: “The 2022 World Cup in Qatar will not happen” 7
- Premier League Playback: Legendary Lampard strikes, United’s shambolic implosion 2