Jun 23, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
Andres Iniesta performed the role of playmaker to perfection in assisting goals by David Villa and Fernando Torres as Spain picked up what will be its only win of a disappointing World Cup in a 3-0 decision over Australia on Monday.
Cesc Fabregas had an assist of his own on a delivery to Juan Mata that salted the game away in the 83rd minute.
Australia leaves the tournament with no points but valiant efforts in losses to Chile, Spain and the Netherlands. Star attacker Tim Cahill was unable to play in the finale due to card accumulation.
Spain: Reina; Juanfran, Ramos, Albiol, Alba; Cazorla (Fabregas, 68′), Alonso, Koke, Iniesta; Torres, Villa (Mata, 55′)
Goals: Villa (35′), Torres (69′), Mata (81′)
Australia: Ryan, McGowan, Spiranovic, Wilkinson, Davidson, McKay, Jedinak, Bozanic (Bresciano, 72′), Leckie, Taggart (Halloran, 46′), Oar (Troisi, 60′)
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 2
- West Ham United 2-1 Manchester City: Hammers stun reigning champs 1
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 9 0
- Chicago Fire 2-1 Houston Dynamo: Stoppage-time winner caps off Chicago comeback (VIDEO) 1
- Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 0