Jun 23, 2014, 1:51 PM EST
Andres Iniesta performed the role of playmaker to perfection in assisting goals by David Villa and Fernando Torres as Spain picked up what will be its only win of a disappointing World Cup in a 3-0 decision over Australia on Monday.
Cesc Fabregas had an assist of his own on a delivery to Juan Mata that salted the game away in the 83rd minute.
Australia leaves the tournament with no points but valiant efforts in losses to Chile, Spain and the Netherlands. Star attacker Tim Cahill was unable to play in the finale due to card accumulation.
Spain: Reina; Juanfran, Ramos, Albiol, Alba; Cazorla (Fabregas, 68′), Alonso, Koke, Iniesta; Torres, Villa (Mata, 55′)
Goals: Villa (35′), Torres (69′), Mata (81′)
Australia: Ryan, McGowan, Spiranovic, Wilkinson, Davidson, McKay, Jedinak, Bozanic (Bresciano, 72′), Leckie, Taggart (Halloran, 46′), Oar (Troisi, 60′)
- Premier League Sunday preview: Liverpool, Spurs take to road to face fellow strugglers Palace, Hull 1
- Premier League roundup: Wins for Manchester United, Chelsea, Burnley (video) 0
- WATCH: Messi’s teammates repeatedly toss him in air after breaking La Liga record 1
- Defiant win proves van Gaal’s Manchester United on the right track 0
- Three things we learned from Manchester United’s big win at Arsenal 0
- Arsenal 1-2 Manchester United: Too little too late for Giroud and the chance-squandering Gunners 1