Jun 23, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
Andres Iniesta performed the role of playmaker to perfection in assisting goals by David Villa and Fernando Torres as Spain picked up what will be its only win of a disappointing World Cup in a 3-0 decision over Australia on Monday.
Cesc Fabregas had an assist of his own on a delivery to Juan Mata that salted the game away in the 83rd minute.
Australia leaves the tournament with no points but valiant efforts in losses to Chile, Spain and the Netherlands. Star attacker Tim Cahill was unable to play in the finale due to card accumulation.
Spain: Reina; Juanfran, Ramos, Albiol, Alba; Cazorla (Fabregas, 68′), Alonso, Koke, Iniesta; Torres, Villa (Mata, 55′)
Goals: Villa (35′), Torres (69′), Mata (81′)
Australia: Ryan, McGowan, Spiranovic, Wilkinson, Davidson, McKay, Jedinak, Bozanic (Bresciano, 72′), Leckie, Taggart (Halloran, 46′), Oar (Troisi, 60′)
- Report: De Gea moving to Madrid as Costa Rican hero Navas heads to Old Trafford 0
- Fireworks as transfer deadline passes in Germany: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Januzaj to Dortmund 1
- Premier League Playback: It’s time to change the Transfer Window rules 1
- Draxler, Pogba, Januzaj headline 10 deals to monitor as we near Transfer Deadline Day 1
- Manchester United to add new $56 million striker as Monaco’s Martial leaves France duty 1
- Done Deals: De Bruyne joins Manchester City in busy day for Wolfsburg 2