Jun 23, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
Andres Iniesta performed the role of playmaker to perfection in assisting goals by David Villa and Fernando Torres as Spain picked up what will be its only win of a disappointing World Cup in a 3-0 decision over Australia on Monday.
Cesc Fabregas had an assist of his own on a delivery to Juan Mata that salted the game away in the 83rd minute.
Australia leaves the tournament with no points but valiant efforts in losses to Chile, Spain and the Netherlands. Star attacker Tim Cahill was unable to play in the finale due to card accumulation.
Spain: Reina; Juanfran, Ramos, Albiol, Alba; Cazorla (Fabregas, 68′), Alonso, Koke, Iniesta; Torres, Villa (Mata, 55′)
Goals: Villa (35′), Torres (69′), Mata (81′)
Australia: Ryan, McGowan, Spiranovic, Wilkinson, Davidson, McKay, Jedinak, Bozanic (Bresciano, 72′), Leckie, Taggart (Halloran, 46′), Oar (Troisi, 60′)
- $410 million Las Vegas soccer stadium deal closer; next stop, Major League Soccer… 4
- Report: Arsenal bid $82 million for Edinson Cavani. Remy, Falcao, Welbeck linked 8
- Confirmed: Neil Warnock takes over at Crystal Palace; what will he bring? 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Whole New World Edition 1
- Samuel Eto’o signs two-year deal with Everton 0
- League Cup Roundup: Manchester United embarrassed by Milton Keynes, 4-0 13