Jun 25, 2014, 4:50 PM EST
Switzerland have taken a giant step towards advancing to the Round of 16 by building a 2-0 halftime lead after Xherdan Shaqiri netted a fantastic double in Manaus.
Over in Rio, a balanced match between France and Ecuador remains scoreless meaning if the results hold it will be Les Bleus winning the group and the Swiss taking second spot over Ecuador.
Honduras 0-1 Switzerland
6′ – Xherdan Shaqiri puts the Swiss ahead after beating a defender and ripping a shot from outside the box and into the top corner. Switzerland, 1-0
31′ – After a Victor Bernarndez mistake gives Josep Drmic the ball, the Swiss counter-attack springs with Drmic finding Shaqiri, who cooly places his second into the bottom corner. Switzerland, 2-0
3′ – Swiss striker Josip Drmic crosseds to Shaqiri whose right footed shot from very close range is well-saved by Noel Valladares.
Honduras: Valladares (c), Figueroa, Bernardez, J Garcia, W Palacios, Bengtson, Costly, B Garcia, Espinoza, Claros, Beckeles
Switzerland: Benaglio, Lichtsteiner, Inler (c), Xhaka, Behrami, Rodriguez, Mehmedi, Drmic, Djourou, Schaer, Shaqiri
Ecuador 0-0 France
15′ – Moussa Sissoko unleashes a left-footed shot from the right side of the box that Ecuador goalkeeper Alexander Dominguez does well to get low and save.
Ecuador: Dominguez, Guagua, Erazo, Paredes, Noboa, Montero, W. Ayovi, E. Valencia, Minda, Arroyo (c), A. Valencia
France: Lloris (c), Sakho, Benzema, Griezmann, Matuidi, Sagna, Digne Sissoko, Pogba, Koscielny, Schneiderlin
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0
- After “two points dropped” at Aston Villa, Wayne Rooney says media was driving title talk 0