Jun 25, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
Once a biter, always a biter… and now 150 European bettors have cashed in on Luis Suarez‘s Italian meal.
When Suarez bit Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini on Tuesday — or Chiellini thrusted his shoulder into Suarez’s face, if the you’re the Uruguayan — a number of bettors made dough.
The biggest win went to a punter in Norway whose bonanza amounted to 2,000 euros ($2,700), while someone else in that Scandinavian country took home $916, Betsson group spokesman Mikael Mellqvist said.
In Sweden, Mats Johansson posted his betting ticket on Twitter and thanked Suarez for the 1,750 kronor ($260) he got after putting up 10 Swedish kronor.
The company received bets on a Suarez bite amounting to “six figures in Norwegian kroner,” Mellqvist told The Associated Press. “We have people from all of Europe playing but mainly in Scandinavia.”
Norwegian media identified one of the winners as Thomas Syversen, who reportedly was asleep during the Uruguay-Italy game on Tuesday when Suarez allegedly bit Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini on the left shoulder.
“This is probably the sickest bet I have made, not to mention the sickest bet I have won,” Syversen was quoted as saying by the Norwegian Dagbladet daily.
We live in a bizarre world where a person can make money off such a thing, but it still catches you offguard when a prop bet like this exists… and is a winner.
- Everton willing to set club transfer record to bring Lukaku back 3
- Arsenal on the verge of signing Calum Chambers from Southampton 1
- Knee injury will keep Lallana out of Liverpool’s Premier League opener 0
- A quick guide to who’s come and gone from Premier League teams 2
- Didier Drogba has officially rejoined Jose Mourinho at Chelsea 4
- FIFA says World Cup will stay in Russia, “can achieve positive change” 9