Silverbacks player’s face stomp ignites four red cards; overshadows upset of Colorado (video)

Jun 25, 2014, 9:10 AM EST

source:  At least bites can only transmit disease.

The Atlanta Silverbacks of the NASL should be celebrating a 2-1 upset of the Colorado Rapids, as head coach Eric Wynalda continues his winning ways in the 2014 Lamar Hunt US Open Cup.

Instead, they are lamenting a regrettable and heinous incident that saw a four players given red cards and both head coaches sent to the stands.

Silverbacks forward Jaime Chavez, 26, stomped on the face of prone Rapids defender Drew Moor after a battle for the ball sent Moor to the turf, opening an “inch-wide cut” on the Rapids captain. The fight that followed featured Rapids defender Marc Burch taking a swing at Chavez, and left Atlanta down to 8-men for the rest of the match.

Burch was dismissed by referee Juan Guzman, but the Silverbacks saw three players sent off: Chavez as well as Kwadwo Poku and Borfor Carr. Wynalda and his Colorado counterpart, Pablo Mastroeni, were also sent off for leaving their technical areas.

Remarkably, Atlanta only conceded once the rest of the way. Perhaps of bigger note, the incident was the first card shown of either color in the match. Three yellows were shown the rest of the way.

Head here for the video and skip to the 50-minute mark for the lead-up to the stomp and ensuing madness.

Chavez probably shouldn’t play again this season, if not longer. As for anything that ensued, it’s terrible for the game but almost understandable. If I was Burch, I would’ve responded the same way if not worse. Awful.

1. jslip1 - Jun 25, 2014 at 10:35 AM

“I’m not sure where the ref is seeing all this.”

Probably has a LOT to do with the punches that were thrown and the inaudible commentary between players.

2. Jeff - Jun 25, 2014 at 11:25 AM

If I were Colorado, I’d be embarrassed I couldn’t score more than one goal (and gave up one) on a lower-tier team that was three men down.

3. chunkala - Jun 25, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Why oh why couldn’t this have been Suarez’s face being stomped?

4. corvusrex96 - Jun 25, 2014 at 12:27 PM

The Atlanta silverbacks ??? This has to be a typo

5. gr8force - Jun 25, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Being a Silverbacks fan I’m at a loss for words and shocked at Chavez’s behavior. I can see where the initial contact occurs and he appears to be off balance but that final movement appeared to be intentional. If it was then that is clearly unacceptable at any level of professionalism. I’ve never seen him act anything close to this during the season. I’ll be closely following the information from the club on their position and actions.

I can’t blame the ref for throwing around the red. I’m surprised he didn’t throw out more cards (yellow/red) due to all the dissent too. I understand arguing and appealing but some of the brazen insistence on all parties was excessively excessive. I did think it was a little extreme he threw out the coaches as it appears they did not even get on the pitch but merely outside of the “technical” box albeit I see coaches get outside of that box every match but never on the pitch and there is never a card or warning for that. That was excessive on the ref’s part.

Unfortunately after the antics of the world cup I suspect the US Open Cup authorities to hand down an extended penalty in the form of X game(s) suspension to Chavez as an example to others. As to if NASL has anything to say, we’ll just have to wait.

• wjriedel - Jun 25, 2014 at 1:09 PM

“gr8force” I was at the game. Sorry, but the Atlanta coach was way out on the field, at least 10 yards on the field (not just outside of the technical area). The video did not show it because the camera was pretty much on the Colorado coach. But the Atlanta coach WAS on the field for several minutes and that should be a card. Going on the field is a card and should be and expulsion when he is that far on the field for that length of time.

• gr8force - Jun 25, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Thanks. Those of us back in the ATL could not see that from the video feed. In that aspect I understand the call. I don’t like it obviously but I understand it.

6. wjriedel - Jun 25, 2014 at 1:04 PM

The commentator said that this had been a relatively clean game up to this point. It was NOT. The silverbacks (their name does not deserved to be capitalized) had been knocking around and beating up the Rapids all game long and almost no fouls called. That does not make for a “clean” game just because the referee does not call the fouls or issues cards, as he should have. But this is what happens when a referee allows this crap to continue all game long and doesn’t call it. The referee lost control of this game very early on and this is what happens when a referee has no control. The referee should never be allowed to referee a professional game again. In fact, I’m not sure he is even qualified to referee ANY games ever again.

7. sockrfan2014 - Jun 25, 2014 at 3:00 PM

I, too, was at the game. I thought it was extremely chippy, and the silverbacks got the best of it in the first half. The stomping was unbelievably upsetting, and I was embarrassed to see the chaos that ensued. The official was finally forced to do something about it, but it was too late. The game was out of hand and a joke. Wynalda grabbed his crotch on the way off the field and engaged in profanity-laced shouting matches with fans. His assistant coach was thrown out of the game, too, for being on the field (and yes, they were at least 10 yards on the pitch).

I do commend Atlanta for holding on for the win. They were shorthanded for 30 minutes, and only gave up one goal, on the PK. However, both teams should be ashamed of their behavior. I wish I had not brought my kids to the game.

PST Extra: Top 4 showdowns on Sunday