Jun 26, 2014, 9:04 AM EDT
With the USA’s crucial Group G game vs. Germany set to go ahead at 12 p.m. ET on Thursday, torrential flooding has hit the Recife area.
Reports of the “streets turning into rivers” and over two foot of standing water around the city and huge travel delays have been reported as tens of thousands of U.S. national team fans try to make it into Recife for what could be one of the finest moments in U.S. soccer history.
However if this rain keeps up, could the match be in doubt? More information has arrived about the pitch at the Arena Pernambuco and although it looks soggy, it seems as though the game is in no danger of being postponed. The game will go ahead as planned.
[ PREVIEW – USA vs. Germany ]
Torrential downpours have been occurring for hours and below we have some photos direct from Recife, as the monsoon like conditions roll into the city based in the far North East of the South American country.
More updates on this as it develops, but this type of weather certainly won’t be conducive to a free-flowing attacking game.
Does that suit the USA better? It sure seems like it…
The NBC Sports account ReTweeted this from U.S. Soccer as Teddy Goalsevelt helps them out.
From the BBC’s Ben Smith in Recife.
ESPN’s Jeremy Schaap from the pitch at the Arena Pernambuco.
The U.S. Soccer account has issued the following advice to fans.
NBC Soccer producer Adam Littlefield.
Kick TV’s Michael Milberger in Recife.
A collection of photos from the Telegraph from across Recife.
- VIDEO: “I Was There” visits LA Blues and LA Red Army for Chelsea’s win over United 0
- VIDEO: Bayern Munich’s Thomas Muller grabs megaphone, leads fans’ celebrations 3
- Bayern Munich 6-1 (7-4, agg.) FC Porto: Bayern obliterate Porto to reach UCL semifinal 2
- Barcelona 2-0 (5-1, agg.) Paris Saint-Germain: Neymar brace eases Barca into Champions League semifinals 0
- FOLLOW LIVE – Champions League: Bayern Munich, PSG aim to overturn 3-1 deficits to Barcelona, FC Porto 0
- Chris Smalling signs new Manchester United contract through 2019 0