Jun 26, 2014, 10:50 AM EDT
After Argentina topped Group F to qualify for the last 16 of the World Cup on Wednesday, they could have been dealt a huge blow.
According to reports from Argentina outlet Clarin, star striker Sergio Aguero will miss the rest of the tournament after suffering a muscle injury and being forced off in the 38th minute against Nigeria.
Aguero, 26, has yet to score at the 2014 World Cup but has acted as the perfect foil to Argentina’s red-hot captain Lionel Messi who has scored four times to catapult La Albiceleste to the knockout stages.
Yet another injury for Aguero is no surprise, as the Manchester City forward has struggled with hamstring and thigh issues all season long. The former Atletico Madrid striker missed large chunks of City’s Premier League title campaign in 2013-14, but still managed to finish as their top scorer with 28 goals in all competitions.
This loss, if true, would be a big blow for Argentina as they aim to win their first World Cup since 1986.
However it is certainly not disastrous by any stretch of the imagination as they still have the likes of Messi, Angel Di Maria, Gonzalo Higuain and others to tear opposition defenses apart. Regardless of the galaxy of attacking stars they possess, Aguero’s predatory instincts will be missed.
- Van Gaal has interest in Ronaldo, doesn’t think Real Madrid will sell 2
- Americans Abroad preview: Guzan looks to keep Villa rolling 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 5 1
- Euro 2020 semis, final to be played at Wembley Stadium 1
- Sloppy USWNT 4-0 win over Mexico adds fuel to turf conversation fire 0
- MLS’s new logo: Reddit (yes, Reddit) may have a way to solve the league’s new problem 18