Jun 26, 2014, 10:50 AM EDT
After Argentina topped Group F to qualify for the last 16 of the World Cup on Wednesday, they could have been dealt a huge blow.
According to reports from Argentina outlet Clarin, star striker Sergio Aguero will miss the rest of the tournament after suffering a muscle injury and being forced off in the 38th minute against Nigeria.
Aguero, 26, has yet to score at the 2014 World Cup but has acted as the perfect foil to Argentina’s red-hot captain Lionel Messi who has scored four times to catapult La Albiceleste to the knockout stages.
Yet another injury for Aguero is no surprise, as the Manchester City forward has struggled with hamstring and thigh issues all season long. The former Atletico Madrid striker missed large chunks of City’s Premier League title campaign in 2013-14, but still managed to finish as their top scorer with 28 goals in all competitions.
This loss, if true, would be a big blow for Argentina as they aim to win their first World Cup since 1986.
However it is certainly not disastrous by any stretch of the imagination as they still have the likes of Messi, Angel Di Maria, Gonzalo Higuain and others to tear opposition defenses apart. Regardless of the galaxy of attacking stars they possess, Aguero’s predatory instincts will be missed.
- What will Jurgen Klinsmann’s USMNT roster look like for 2015 Gold Cup? 2
- April Fools! The top gags that actually fooled soccer fans on this day 5
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Player of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Coach of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Team of the Season 3
- Who were biggest winners, losers from USMNT’s March friendlies? 5