Jun 26, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
The only number that truly matters is 16, which is the number of teams left that can win the World Cup. The United States is one of those teams, but who is most responsible for the team’s success during a second-place finish in Group G?
5. Fabian Johnson – Dazzling at times during the stage, Johnson is at his best moving forward. His defensive responsibilities and how he lives up to them keep him from placing higher on the list. Against Belgium, he could be a menace and a real key to if and how the game opens up for the States.
4. Matt Besler – The 27-year-old has seen his international star rise during this tournament, and European clubs will take note of the job he did against Thomas Muller against Germany. Besler had precious few errors and recalled former USMNT captain Carlos Bocanegra’s prime at times. The US needed a rock in the middle, and Besler has answered the call fairly well.
[ RELATED: Three things we learned from USA-Germany ]
[ RELATED: U.S. player ratings vs. Germany ]
3. Clint Dempsey – Playing two matches with a broken nose, Deuce was a versatile, dangerous workhorse. All the worries after his struggles at Tottenham and during the early days in Seattle seem like ages ago, as the Texan even filled in admirably as the man up-top against Portugal.
2. Tim Howard – Perhaps you’d like him to be better on both of Portugal’s goals, but that ‘2’ figure would’ve been much higher without his middle-match heroics. Howard also made a number of beautiful saves in the Germany match, and perhaps American fans won’t truly know how much they love Howard until they’ve seen a full-time USMNT keeper just a notch below.
1. Jermaine Jones – The World Cup has raised the 32-year-old’s game to another level, one we’ve rarely seen from the German-American since he made the one-time switch the the USMNT a few years back. He’s shown dogged determination, mostly avoided the fouls and cards that plagued him in qualification and even scored a stunning goal that will live in American soccer history.
Jones has arguably been the best American player in each match of the tournament, and I’ll admit shock at writing those words. He’s been the go-to orchestrater for his coach, and is rewarding Jurgen Klinsmann for his faith, and making his boss look smarter. For that alone, we’re sure JK would also put him at No. 1.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT
Users decided to make the new art’s white space into a plus, ditching the high brow concept in favor of more appealing products.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
NBCSN’s first of three weekend broadcasts takes place tomorrow night at Rio Tinto Stadium.
Sep 18, 2014, 7:41 PM EDT
It’s 14 years off, but The FA is still planning to make a push.
Sep 18, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Roberto Martinez makes an impressive European debut, while Mauricio Pochettino sees him team go without a shot on target.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
MLS has admitted failure before. Today’s new art may prove to be another idea the league should cast off.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
With Week four in the books, here’s how the PL teams stack up in our rankings of power.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
What are people saying about Major League Soccer’s new look?
Sep 18, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Wenger: “I was so close to signing Cristiano Ronaldo.”
Sep 18, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
After just four wins from 20 games, Fulham’s owner has seen enough from Magath.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT
Rodgers’ side have had an up and down start to the season. Is it the sign of things to come?
Sep 18, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
Here’s what lies in store for Everton and Tottenham as Thursday night soccer begins.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Parmigiani watches worth over $25,000 dished out by Brazilian federation to FIFA’s exec. members must be returned.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT
Gunners need reinforcements in defense, so who are they making a move for?
Sep 18, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
Norwegian boss let go after just 9 wins in 30 games in charge of the Bluebirds.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
Star striker struggling with persistent hamstring problem ahead of Manchester City clash.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:19 AM EDT
What do you guys think of the brand new MLS logo?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:40 AM EDT
Klinsmann’s men move up after Czech Republic win. See where they’re ranked in the top 20.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
A dog home ravaged by fire last week believes Mario Balotelli has made a sizable donation.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
Joe Prince-Wright and myself sat down with Jenna Corrado to discuss what City and Chelsea each need to accomplish to secure victory.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
Looking for complete transparency, however, Van Gaal has laid down the law: English only.
- Europe League roundup: Everton big winners at home; Spurs left with draw on the road 0
- It’s not too late for Major League Soccer to turn away from its new logo 16
- Premier League Power Rankings: Red Devils and Villans on the up 1
- PHOTO: MLS unveils new logo. What do you think? 22
- US move up one place in latest FIFA rankings; Wales the big winners 0
- Julian Draxler’s stunning performance puts Chelsea, Premier League on high alert 1