Jun 27, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Jones (who joined the Dan Patrick Show on Friday, watch the video above) has surprisingly been the USA’s star man in Brazil this summer and would be a huge loss to the Star and Stripes. However despite the broken nose he will play in the round of 16 match vs. Belgium in Salvador on Tuesday and is not expected to wear a protective face mask.
U.S. spokesman Michael Kammarman said Jones and fellow midfielder Bedoya each were checked on the field during the 1-0 loss to Germany at Recife following their second-half collision, and three more times since.
This injury comes fresh off of Clint Dempsey‘s broken nose in the USA’s World Cup opener vs. Ghana, as the U.S. really are putting everything on the line this summer. Dempsey was said to be struggling with his fitness after injuring his nose as breathing became an problem. The U.S. medical team will likely keep an eye on the same issues occurring with Jones but don’t expect the combative midfielder to be shirking out of any tackles in the near future.
The commitment of Jurgen Klinsmann’s team cannot be questioned, as they are literally running through brick walls for the team. Jones has been a warrior in the engine room for the U.S. and his stunning goal vs. Portugal in Manaus helped the side seal their spot in the last 16. Jones is known for his tough-tackling but he is on a yellow card. If he gets booked against Belgium in the round of 16 match, he will miss the USA’s potential quarterfinal match-up.
- FIFA presidential elections will go on Friday despite arrests 1
- FBI, US Department of Justice issues damning statement on FIFA, details corruption investigation 5
- FIFA fallout continues: Swiss authorities open criminal proceedings into allocation of 2018, 2022 World Cups 1
- Nine FIFA officials, including CONCACAF president, arrested in Switzerland during dawn raids 10
- Report: Multiple FIFA officials arrested in Zurich, will be extradited to United States 5
- Mourinho rips Top 4 rivals at awards dinner; Takes extra shot at Wenger’s Arsenal 2