Jun 27, 2014, 10:42 PM EDT
Out-of-contract Lyon striker Bafetimbi Gomis has signed with Swansea City on a free transfer, pending international clearance.
The 28-year-old has been a fixture in Premier League rumors, most recently of Swansea last summer before they opted for Wilfried Bony.
Gomis scored 14 Ligue 1 goals last season with Lyon, and bagged 62 goals over a five-year span with the club in 172 league appearances.
According to the release on Swansea City’s website, Gomis turned down multiple offers from not just Lyon but “other Premier League and overseas clubs”.
He signed for Lyon in 2009 for $17.7 million Saint-Etienne after five years with Les Verts.
It will be interesting to see how Swansea will look to use their new striker. Although the official website has said he will look to play “alongside” Bony, between Gomis, Bony, and Michu it’s unsure how they will form out.
Gomis may originally back up the incumbent Ivorian Bony, and Michu may be allowed to take a more creative role rather than having goals on his shoulder as they were two seasons ago before Bony’s arrival.
Injuries limited Michu to just 17 appearances last season, and he was clearly not at his best.
- MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 6-4 Real Salt Lake (video) 0
- Premier League friendly roundup: Man City lose in Germany, Liverpool win in Finland 0
- Brendan Rodgers says $50 million for Christian Benteke was a bargain 0
- Saturday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Berbatov to Villa, Rahman to Chelsea 1
- Manchester United, adidas unveil kits with “smashing” photos 4
- Pep Guardiola on final year of contract: “Not completely convinced” he’s right for Bayern 1