Jun 27, 2014, 10:42 PM EST
Out-of-contract Lyon striker Bafetimbi Gomis has signed with Swansea City on a free transfer, pending international clearance.
The 28-year-old has been a fixture in Premier League rumors, most recently of Swansea last summer before they opted for Wilfried Bony.
Gomis scored 14 Ligue 1 goals last season with Lyon, and bagged 62 goals over a five-year span with the club in 172 league appearances.
According to the release on Swansea City’s website, Gomis turned down multiple offers from not just Lyon but “other Premier League and overseas clubs”.
He signed for Lyon in 2009 for $17.7 million Saint-Etienne after five years with Les Verts.
It will be interesting to see how Swansea will look to use their new striker. Although the official website has said he will look to play “alongside” Bony, between Gomis, Bony, and Michu it’s unsure how they will form out.
Gomis may originally back up the incumbent Ivorian Bony, and Michu may be allowed to take a more creative role rather than having goals on his shoulder as they were two seasons ago before Bony’s arrival.
Injuries limited Michu to just 17 appearances last season, and he was clearly not at his best.
- Iker Casillas to MLS? Real Madrid legend: “I would like to play in the United States” 0
- Chile vs. USA preview: Who’s here to stay as USMNT kicks off 2015? 0
- Report: Juan Agudelo close to signing with his former MLS team, New England Revolution 5
- Head of Dutch FA, Michael van Praag, will challenge Blatter for FIFA presidency 2
- Newcastle United name John Carver head coach until end of 2014-15 season 0
- Transfer ban for Real Madrid? Probe launched after signing of Venezuelan kids 3