VIDEO: Is this why Ghana got knocked out of the World Cup?

Jun 27, 2014, 2:38 PM EDT

Okay, so maybe this is a bit of a stretch… but I had to share this video after stumbling across it online.

Following Ghana’s elimination from the World Cup, videos of their players dancing, singing and playing musical instruments on the training field have emerged.

Above is a video from a training session from before they played Germany, plus there are similar videos out there from before they played the U.S. We all saw Asamoah Gyan‘s awesome goal celebration against Germany when the Black Stars drew 2-2, if you didn’t then look no further, it is superb and rivals Colombia’s dance moves for the goal celebration of the tournament.

One question: Did Ghana spend too much time singing and dancing in training sessions instead of practicing? Probably not, but it is worth contemplating now they have a long time to sit and watch the rest of the WC at home.

I really enjoy their rhythmic dances and top notch musicians/soccer players (check out Gyan with the cow bell and the dude playing drums sat on a drinks cooler) and I’m genuinely glad I stumbled upon this video to see the cultures of one of the World Cup nations come to life. However if I was a Ghanaian fan watching this, I’m not quite sure how I would feel.

1. eboe - Jun 27, 2014 at 2:42 PM

It’s called team building exercises. How can you question someone’s cultural norms? If this is what they do to strengthen bonds, then this is what they do. How do you know this didn’t preface a long session of practicing? Other teams play board games or watch tv, some prefer to do things alone. This shows a community team spirit. nothing wrong with that and I think more highly of them for it.

2. krazymunky - Jun 27, 2014 at 2:43 PM

maybe this is their way to get hyped up for the practice or game.

3. sfraider - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Ummm maybe they were knocked out because Germany, Portugal and the U.S. were in their group. I don’t think a team bonding experience had anything to do with it.

4. Jules - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:13 PM

This is lazy writing, and even lazier thinking. Will there be an apology forthcoming for this drivel masquerading as analysis of the World Cup? Considering the group comprised of German, US, Portugal, and Ghana, this is not a group that any team could have just expected to have moved through. It’s insulting to the players of Ghana, and to the teams they played against to insinuate that the players were more interested in song and dance than winning.

5. braxtonrob - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:14 PM

I like it, but I think more to the point, maybe they spent too much time doing it.

6. Joe Prince-Wright - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Just to clarify, I loved these dances and I think it would be superb for more teams to follow Ghana’s lead.

Obviously, this is a much more lighthearted approach as to why Ghana went out. The U.S., Portugal and Germany are stiff competition and proved it.

That said, it was great to get a behind-the-scenes look at the Ghanaian culture and seeing the players unwind and have fun after practice.

• johndsykes86 - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Sorry, man. There is nothing light-hearted about trying to make a weak causation between this and Ghana’s performance in the World Cup.

it comes off as the tired African trope of “African players are lazy and unfocused enough to do well in the World Cup” Never mind that two African teams made it to the round of 16 or Ghana very nearly knocked off Germany.

The biggest problem is that you didnt even have to add that remark. The video was great on it’s own. Easy human-interest story lain to waste by lazy stereotypical BS. Perhaps that wasn’t your intention, but that’s definitely how it read off.

May I suggest a black friend to proofread these sort of posts beforehand?

• Brian Landoe - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:58 PM

“However if I was a Ghanaian fan watching this, I’m not quite sure how I would feel.”

Can you elaborate on this? Why would you feel anything other than pride?

• lawson1974 - Jun 27, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Because his/her team wasted training time on this

• akismet-9b7294f8450ebe789c2435d3831634b6 - Jul 2, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Based on your writing and if you were a FIFA world cup team, you’d be the national team of Turks and Caicos Islands. Terrible writing and even worse come back.

7. lostintransocean - Jun 27, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Oh good grief. Every team has some down time, they’re not constantly practicing. The USMNT plays pink pong in their downtime.

8. doe22us - Jun 29, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Nah, that is not the reason, they were having too much fun with your chick (jk).. I mean what sought of co-relation is that, get down to finding out how Spain, Italy, and England are also out. Spain probably had too much tapas??? Lazy writing and reporting..

PST Extra: Can United beat Chelsea?