Jun 28, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
James Rodriguez is the difference between both teams at the half, as his stunning volley has given Colombia a 1-0 lead.
Los Cafeteros have dominated the opening 45 minutes, as Uruguay look lackluster going forward without the banned Luis Suarez in attack.
Rodriguez struck in the 27th minute, as he collected a header by controlling it on his chest, then volleyed the ball towards the top corner as Muslera got his fingertips to it but couldn’t keep it out.
That is the difference between the two South American nations, as Colombia is 45 minutes away from its first-ever berth in the World Cup quarterfinals.
FOLLOW LIVE: Soccerly’s real-time match center
27′: Rodriguez takes one touch on his chest, then smashes in an unstoppable volley which Muslera can only tip onto the bar before it crosses the line. Phenomenal strike.
Other key moments
6′: Cuadrado smashes a free kick from distance which is deflected towards goal by a Colombian player but goes over.
11′: After a surging run, Zuniga smashes a shot at goal which Muslera gathered at the second attempt.
27′: Rodriguez volleys in to put Colombia. What. A. Goal.
40′: Tempers begin to flare as veterans Mario Yepes and Diego Forlan clash in the penalty box. Things calm down, but this could get ugly.
Questions for the second half
How will Uruguay change things up?
Perhaps bringing on Gaston Ramirez to get things flowing in midfield would help La Celeste create more chances. So far, Cavani and Forlan have looked isolated up top.
How many can Colombia get?
You get the feeling that if Colombia go 2-0 up, the floodgates will open and this could get embarrassing. Rodriguez and Jackson Martinez are giving Uruguay the runaround.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Manchester United vs. Chelsea headlines 3
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 3
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 5
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 3