Jun 28, 2014, 8:37 PM EDT
Former Lyon striker Bafetimbi Gomis had been linked with Newcastle for so long, his move to England’s Northeast seemed inevitable. But just as the big target man was set to move on from Lyon, a new suitor surfaced. Next thing you know, Gomis is his way to Swansea City.
The signing intensified speculation that Ivorian striker Wilfried Bony might leave the club, but as we found out today, it make be another Swans attacker on the move. According to reports out of England, Spanish forward Michu has undergone a physical with Napoli with an eye toward moving to the Serie A club.
Michu joined Swansea in the summer of 2012 from Spain’s Rayo Vallecano and immediately became one of the England’s most productive attackers, scoring 18 league goals in his debut season. Troubled by injuries last year, the 28-year-old only scored twice in league play as Swans struggled in the wake of their League Cup triumph.
Should he move for Napoli, Michu could provided some much-needed depth behind striker Gonzalez Higuaín and serve as an understudy for Marek Hamsik as the team’s number ten. Should head coach Rafa Benítez wish, he could play the trio together by pushing Hamsik wide. And with both Higuaín and Hamsik the subject of transfer rumors, the partenopei will have a plan B should either of its best attacker be lured away from the club.
For Swansea, the most interesting part may be the implied change in approach. For most of the time Swansea’s been in the top flight, they’ve played one striker, but with Bony and Gomis in tow, a two-front makes more sense.
If Michu stayed, you could see the team alternating Bony and Gomis, perhaps going with two strikers on occasion. If Michu leaves, the team’s best setup may see both of forwards in Garry Monk’s starting XI.
- 2015 Gold Cup: With the rest of CONCACAF making strides, this is USMNT’s chance to show they are, too 3
- New York City mayor could give USWNT ticker tape parade in Manhattan 1
- After Women’s World Cup triumph, Wambach, Ellis face questions about 2016 Olympics 0
- 2015 Copa America: Champions Chile dominate Team of the Tournament 0
- 2015 Gold Cup preview: United States look to defend title 0
- Official: Andrea Pirlo announces his arrival at New York City FC (video) 9