Jun 28, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
In case you hadn’t heard, one of Brazil’s stars during today’s shootout victory over Chile has a Major League Soccer connection, and while it’s a thin one, it’s still one that highlights the league’s growing influence on the world’s game. After all, if you had said in 2010 that MLS would have a registered player serving with the Brazilian national team at the World Cup, your optimism would have been met with a severe eye roll.
Yet here we are, in 2014, and thanks to the league’s prodigious ascent, MLS has had an influence on the Seleçao. Yeah, the trumpets have been incessant, but the song is still true. Goalkeeper Júlio César’s short time with Toronto FC did help the Brazilian prepare for this summer’s finals.
As the latest edition of MLS Insider notes, it’s another way the league is making an impact on the global scene. Check out the show, above.
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 1
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 4
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 5
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 2
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1
- Premier League friendly roundup: Southampton draws, Stoke swallowed 0